• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

evo vs galaxy

There is no comparison. Sprint's "4g" (not real 4g) has VERY limited coverage and is the only benefit of the Evo. The HDMI port can't even be used right now. The 4.3" screen is bordering on to big for a phone.

The SGS has a Super AMOLED screen at a nice 4" screen. Brighter with better battery life, beat that. Oh, throw in the Hummingbird CPU at 45nm (first phone on the market with an energy sipping 45nm CPU) which is faster then the Snapdragon.

Its really not even a contest IMHO.

Reactions: BrianFX
Upvote 0
With one major caveat... Samsung. Went through 3 Moments. Been there, done that.

There is no comparison. Sprint's "4g" (not real 4g) has VERY limited coverage and is the only benefit of the Evo. The HDMI port can't even be used right now. The 4.3" screen is bordering on to big for a phone.

The SGS has a Super AMOLED screen at a nice 4" screen. Brighter with better battery life, beat that. Oh, throw in the Hummingbird CPU at 45nm (first phone on the market with an energy sipping 45nm CPU) which is faster then the Snapdragon.

Its really not even a contest IMHO.

Upvote 0
Every company including your precious HTC has screwed their customers at some point or another and i was screwed by the cr*ppy G1 the fact is the Galaxy S is the best Android phone bar none in terms of features.
I remember well when HTC first released the HD2 and it was soon found the camera had a bad issue in showing a large 'pink' circle radiating from the centre of the shot outwards.

At the time I championed a topic in xda-devs, collating many users phone information, including dates & places of purchase, ROM numbers, etc, etc.
I then passed on this information to HTC where we then played may rounds of tennis battling out the problem.

In the end HTC Support admitted there was a problem and worked rapidly on a Firmware fix.

It was a very happy day when I passed on the good news to users the ROM fix was posted on the HTC Support pages.

Upvote 0
Every company including your precious HTC has screwed their customers at some point or another and i was screwed by the cr*ppy G1 the fact is the Galaxy S is the best Android phone bar none in terms of features.

When did you buy the G1 and how were you screwed?

I had the G1 and the only way I felt screwed was when Google basically said "No more updates for the G1 after 1.6 because it has small internal memory." Of course, I didn't care since I rooted my phone, but that's the only instance that I can think of being screwed. You can't blame HTC at all. These devices are designed way before they're released and for not knowing the future of Android and how the updates would turn out, it was a good phone when it was first out.

Now, I'm not backing up Samsung either. I was 50/50 about getting this phone if it came out to T-Mobile this or next month, but after people mentioned that they would update it to Froyo, with the release of the source files today, and a XDA sub-forum(hoping it would get people to root the phone if not then oh well, I don't care that much); I'm definitely looking forward to see how this phone turns out.

Upvote 0

same here i have been screwed by htc... the mytouch and also by motorola cliq and cliq xt.... these motorola phones just freeze up on me everytime when i use advanced task killer or auto killer and also my coworker who had htc touch pro 2 (but i see that htc is getting better at it so that's good!!) my point is every companies have pros and cons but don't bash them! even though i'm having so much trouble with my cliq xt i don't bash them on the website i do have samsung behold 2 and i hated it at first but when bh_man came up with all these roms for the behold 2 i love it now!! so there is a way around it!! i'm not talking about u smg i'm talking about everyone who's talking trash about samsung this samsung that (i think samsung get the point now after so many complains about behold 2) my personal opinion... i think they will back up galaxy s really well since they sold so many of them across the world they would have support this device no matter what

Upvote 0
The lack of a flash just kills the Galaxy for me. It has some great specs but i just dont understand why they would leave that out. I'm not big on using my phone as a true camera, but its the little things that matter the most, with all other things being close to equal. If i did want to take a picture at night, i would think that in 2010 a high end cellphone would be able to do it. This alone would make me choose the Evo over this.

Upvote 0
The lack of a flash just kills the Galaxy for me. It has some great specs but i just dont understand why they would leave that out. I'm not big on using my phone as a true camera, but its the little things that matter the most, with all other things being close to equal. If i did want to take a picture at night, i would think that in 2010 a high end cellphone would be able to do it. This alone would make me choose the Evo over this.
If that's a real deal breaker you should perhaps go for a phone with a xenon flash, and a good camera review. Most phones take terrible pictures when they use their flash. Given HTC's past with cameras I have some doubt that the Evo will be a phone to take good pictures with (certainly not banking on the Galaxy S to do it either, but Samsung at least has better camera history).

I would have liked the flash so I could use it as a flash light, which is certainly handy at times. As a phone flash I don't really care. I would like a back-illuminated sensor though (don't have a clue whether that's the case or not though).

Upvote 0

Then I guess this phone is not for you, go get the N8 if you wish to have a fancy camera phone.

Upvote 0
Then I guess this phone is not for you, go get the N8 if you wish to have a fancy camera phone.

Maybe you missed the part where i said "I'm not big on using my phone as a true camera, but its the little things that matter the most, with all other things being close to equal" That would mean if you stack similar spec'd phones together, the one that includes little things like a flash means a lot.

Upvote 0
Maybe you missed the part where i said "I'm not big on using my phone as a true camera, but its the little things that matter the most, with all other things being close to equal" That would mean if you stack similar spec'd phones together, the one that includes little things like a flash means a lot.
I don't think they are very equal on other things though so the big differences make the deal for me, before the little ones come into play.

Their screens are very different, their GPU's are very different, their weights are very different etc.

Upvote 0

Your still saying the same thing, go get the N8 really.

Upvote 0
is galaxy S only gsm or will it go to cdma (verizon) too? how different is the Super AMOLED to regular AMOLED?

Right now it's only in GSM. In the future it will most likely be CDMA also since supposedly all four carriers in the U.S. wants this phone.

As for super vs regular amoled. The clip below should be enough of an explanation.

YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S - Super AMOLED Display

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones