EVO vs. Sprint Hero; Are the core software features the same?

Last Updated:

1. Vesbon

Vesbon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just got my brand new EVO and was incredibly annoyed I'm 3 blocks away from having 4G in my house. That's a deal breaker for me, as I'm home alot and I have to pay for something I can't use much.

All I really need this phone for is GMail, Google Voice, Google Turn-by-Turn, Web browsing and a few core apps like SplashID and Evernote.

Does the Hero have all these "core" features? Is there anything the EVO has, in terms of software, that the Hero doesn't? Is there anything that is *really missing* from the Hero that the EVO has?

Thanks,
    -v

Advertisement
  2. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

The core software is pretty much identical (for the moment). However, note that the EVO will be getting an official upgrade to Froyo (and maybe even gingerbread one day), whereas us hero users have to rely on unofficial 3rd party efforts from now on.

Also: Don't discount the significant hardware upgrades in the EVO. Youve got a much faster processor and higher resolution screen which means that all of the browsing etc you do with it will be a much more pleasant experience than on the hero.

But yeah, all android devices will do pretty much the same thing software wise. That's kind of the whole point.

3. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

Aye, it does - speed. After using EVO go to any shop and play with Hero for a while, you'll see what I mean. The difference in speed between my HTC Hero and my wife's HTC Desire is enormous and after using the 1GHz devices for a while I can't wait till September to get an upgrade ending my frustration with Hero's lags.

Bottom line is: stay with EVO or swap it for either Desire or Nexus One. Period.

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

As per thread title.... completely off-topic for the GSM Hero forum. :rolleyes:

Moved to Sprint Hero forum.

5. Vesbon

Vesbon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm certainly not a power user, and I don't plan on streaming and watching movies, I don't use Facebook or most of the other social media stuff. I only occasionally check Gmail, the Web, Google turn-by-turn, Google voice with visual voicemail, and Evernote. So the EVO is really overkill for me.

I know I'll get some eyeballs rolling on this one, but a good idea is to be one generation behind on this type of high tech stuff. It's much, much cheaper and all the bugs are worked out. I can upgrade my phone every 12 months, so if I do return the EVO for a Hero, in 12 months I can probably get an EVO for $50 or get maybe a Hero2 if it ever comes out.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the Hero can do all the EVO can do, software wise (at the moment), just slower and more "laggy."

Thanks
    -v

6. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

We'll have none of your well thought out decisions here! The only acceptable stance is "Newer and faster is better, damn the cost!!!!"

Pay your additional up front costs, and bite the bullet on the $10 per month and smile because you will know you have the latest (for now).

;-)

Seriously, I am in the same boat. I just got my Hero a few months ago, and I am in no hurry to upgrade. I wish I would have been able to wait until the EVO came out to get the Hero at a lower price, but my previous phone died.

EDIT: It doesn't help the EVO that the nearest 4G is a two hour drive from my home...

7. prr2freya

prr2freya Member

I just got my Hero 2 days ago and I love it! I also decided not to go with the Evo when my 2 year upgrade became available due to having to pay so much more upfront plus the $10 more a month than the everything data package. I am no where near the 4G network and it will probably be another year or two before it gets here and the Hero works great on 3G. I already rooted it and am running IcedHoneyBun V3 and got rid of most of the bloatware.

I think I made a good choice for my first droid phone and if I can hold out for 2 years to get the highest upgrade deduction.. well... by then people will think Evo is an old phone and I will get it for cheap and it will already have optimized roms out there. I also think it is a good idea to be a generation behind. For me it works great!

8. rssolo23

rssolo23 Member

Luckily if you're a Sprint "Premier" customer (most people are), you get to upgrade your phone every 12 months for the full subsidized price rather than the usual 2 years that we're accustomed to :)

I bought my Hero in January 2010 and was really looking forward to shell out money to get the EVO when it comes out, especially since my Hero lagged in spotty places... However, I've started to love my phone more and more after installing apps like Vlingo, Swype beta, Opera Mini; rooting my phone; and accurately using the turn-by-turn navigation from Google.

The Hero isn't a perfect phone, but it is definitely going to keep me happy until January 2011 when I'm eligible for a full upgrade... and by then I'll be hearing about the coolest phone hitting the market.

9. dubtecv2

dubtecv2 Member

+ eleventy-billion

10. hakujin

hakujin Well-Known Member

UNLESS, you were a new customer in 01/10, in which case, you'll wait 18 months, not 12. It's in the fine print and most never mention it. I assume they were preexisting premier customers prior to the purchase of the Hero, I was not... and usually would rather opt for Amazon, Wirefly, LetsTalk etc. than Sprint 'upgrade' costs anyway as they are invariably cheaper. For instance, the Hero through Sprint right now is $150. At Amazon, it's ONE PENNY $.01. Suffice to say, I find the value in Sprint Premier, when I am eligible 18 months from March '10, so ~09/11, not all it's cracked up to be; better off going to a different network for at least 90 days, then coming back on a no activation deal as a NEW customer.

11. nackles

nackles Member

I have the hero and my wife has the evo. To me the big differences so far are the bigger screen, faster processor, and more memory on the evo at the cost of worse battery life. I feel better about keeping my hero after using the evo quite a bit.