• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Seriously, reading the Incredible forum pisses me off so much.

Almost everyone is amazingly ignorant and about VZW fanboy as can be.

Yea, and they all scoff at the Evo really which is pretty funny to me. Those dudes don't even have solid specs, price, or release date and they think they know all ;) I mean Verizon has barely even acknowledged it exists lol

Upvote 0
Thank god I am not the only one. I can't stand the Incredible forum....it is such a mess and that one giant thread is full of pure garbage off topic banter. I mean don't get me wrong I go OT all the time but I wouldn't destroy a entire thread with it. The other things that bugs me is how they seem to think they have drawn in million's of new visitors but in reality it is just the same 100 or so users hitting refresh every 2 seconds that makes the page views go up. What I don't understand is why the Incredible is such a great phone, I mean it is just a N1 with Sense UI and maybe some more internal memory. The EVO has a monster screen, FFC, and HDMI which are 3 huge advantages. Plus more RAM I think, and I would much rather have a traditional TFT LCD then a AMOLED because I spend most of my time outside and the sunlight makes AMOLED screens useless.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
I'd say it's more like the Desire with considerable downgrades. Remember, it's the people in the Incredible that set the specs - not Verizon. When I would hang there in the beginning, they justified everything to suit themselves and that's the biggest reason I don't trust the specs. I've said many times that that phone is not going to be what they think it will.

Upvote 0
I'd say it's more like the Desire with considerable downgrades. Remember, it's the people in the Incredible that set the specs - not Verizon. When I would hang there in the beginning, they justified everything to suit themselves and that's the biggest reason I don't trust the specs. I've said many times that that phone is not going to be what they think it will.

Well, the Incredible will have a 8MP camera vs. the Desire's 5MP, so it is a little better.

Upvote 0
Well, the Incredible will have a 8MP camera vs. the Desire's 5MP, so it is a little better.
My point is - says who? I have yet to see Verizon's spec sheet on the Incredible and they're very, very quite about the whole thing. About a month ago, BGR said it should be released in about 2 weeks. It just keeps going that way. Until I see the "official" specs, I don't believe a word of it.

Upvote 0
My point is - says who? I have yet to see Verizon's spec sheet on the Incredible and they're very, very quite about the whole thing. About a month ago, BGR said it should be released in about 2 weeks. It just keeps going that way. Until I see the "official" specs, I don't believe a word of it.

Quite right. I always thought the Incredible was going to be what the EVO is anyway. I was expecting it to have a 4.3" screen.

Upvote 0
First off, I would like to thank EVERYONE on this forum....a little background on me....been a Verizon customer for many, many, many, many years. Paying ALOT of $ for a family share plan w/texting and my BB plan. I have been trying to surive on my BB Storm, waiting for this "incredible" to show up. Just recently I went to the Sprint website and noticed that I could save a minimum of $50 per month to switch over AND have a better plan than I already have!!!! The EVO looks truly amaizng...i guess my fear resides in all of the "bad mouthing" that everyone does when you bring up Sprint. Verizon's coverage is what it is...but I think I am tired of paying a premium for it. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia and I think I am going to take the plunge and welcome Sprint into my family's life when the EVO is released. All of the encouraging words I have read on this forum has helped me with this decision. Thanks to everyone and I hope to contribute more to this great board!

Kevin

Upvote 0
i guess my fear resides in all of the "bad mouthing" that everyone does when you bring up Sprint. Verizon's coverage is what it is...but I think I am tired of paying a premium for it. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia and I think I am going to take the plunge and welcome Sprint into my family's life when the EVO is released.
That was a concern of mine as well, until I found out about CNET's independent coverage map and saw that Sprint is actually one of the better options in my area. They have data for Philadelphia too, so check it out yourself! :)

Root Wireless - CNET Reviews

Upvote 0
The EVO looks truly amaizng...i guess my fear resides in all of the "bad mouthing" that everyone does when you bring up Sprint.

This has been the case for a while. Sprint had a reputation as a second rate carrier for a while. They would sell phones to just about anyone when the others required good credit or a large deposit. They didn't advertise their smart phones well until maybe the Pre.

Contrast that with Verizon who has done a great job of cultivating their reputation as the most extensive network. This is not just typical marketing BS because they really did buy up lots of regional carriers and have extended their reach all the way into a lot of rural areas where Sprint, ATT, TMo, etc. are forced to roam. The others seem to concentrate in cities, suburbs, along highways--the places that you will find 90% of people at any given time. Granted this is no help to you if you live in a rural area and have spotty coverage.

Thankfully, Sprint roams for free on Verizon so you may not have blazing fast data but you should always have a signal. The only times I ever really roam are when I go into the DC Metro (Verizon exclusive contract in the tunnels) and when I visit the girlfriend's family in rural PA. At their house I get a measly bar of Sprint so I usually turn on roaming because VZW has better coverage.

Generally, 3G coverage goes Verizon>Sprint>AT&T>T-Mobile. Check the coverage maps because more important than any must-have handset is decent coverage. There is no point in buying a cutting edge smart phone that can never seem to get service so figure out what carriers serve your area, then compare price for similar plans. Lastly, figure out what handset to buy. They all have decent offerings but sometimes you want to wait if you know something big like Evo is on the way in the next couple of months.

Upvote 0
This has been the case for a while. Sprint had a reputation as a second rate carrier for a while. They would sell phones to just about anyone when the others required good credit or a large deposit. They didn't advertise their smart phones well until maybe the Pre.

Contrast that with Verizon who has done a great job of cultivating their reputation as the most extensive network. This is not just typical marketing BS because they really did buy up lots of regional carriers and have extended their reach all the way into a lot of rural areas where Sprint, ATT, TMo, etc. are forced to roam. The others seem to concentrate in cities, suburbs, along highways--the places that you will find 90% of people at any given time. Granted this is no help to you if you live in a rural area and have spotty coverage.

Thankfully, Sprint roams for free on Verizon so you may not have blazing fast data but you should always have a signal. The only times I ever really roam are when I go into the DC Metro (Verizon exclusive contract in the tunnels) and when I visit the girlfriend's family in rural PA. At their house I get a measly bar of Sprint so I usually turn on roaming because VZW has better coverage.

Generally, 3G coverage goes Verizon>Sprint>AT&T>T-Mobile. Check the coverage maps because more important than any must-have handset is decent coverage. There is no point in buying a cutting edge smart phone that can never seem to get service so figure out what carriers serve your area, then compare price for similar plans. Lastly, figure out what handset to buy. They all have decent offerings but sometimes you want to wait if you know something big like Evo is on the way in the next couple of months.
soon you wont have a problem in the metro since all carriers will be able to install antennas down there..i cant wait to have 4g on the metro!!!!

Upvote 0
damn i was hoping to witness a UM/OSU fistfight :D where i live, i get to see aggie/longhorn spats and wanted to see how ya'll roll

After 6 years of domination its hard to harbor hatred for Michigan...just kind of feel sorry for them. I'm sure its similar between the Horns and Aggies :p

Quick - we better get on topic before TS comes and swings the hammer :D

So yea how bout that Evo :D

Upvote 0
That was a concern of mine as well, until I found out about CNET's independent coverage map and saw that Sprint is actually one of the better options in my area. They have data for Philadelphia too, so check it out yourself! :)

Wow, nice tool. I just checked my area and great signals.

Thanks for sharing.

TS out

Wow, nice tool. I just checked my area and great signals.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Just noticed that there is an app for that (but not for the iphone) :D , just Android and Blackberry devices. Pretty cool

TS out

Upvote 0
Agreed. Thanks from me too. It was nice to see yellow and orange all over for my current carrier (AT&T) and then ALL green for Sprint. That makes this transition a little more worry-free
Be sure to look at the data and network maps too. The coverage issue is more complicated than a single map. I think you'll be happy to see that Sprint is still quite good, but it's not quite as clear-cut as the signal map can make it seem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones