• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO without Everything Data - yes, it's possible

meyerweb

Android Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2010
I posted this at the end of another thread, but people might not notice it buried there, and I think it's important enough to make sure people see it. It appears that you can get an EVO without an Everything Data plan.

One caveat, I have a business account, with an Everything Messaging Share Plan and a $15 data pack on one line. What I'm about to report may only be true for business accounts. Or maybe the announcement of the iPhone 4G has loosened up Sprint's purse strings. My business account has only 4 lines, so it's not like I'm a company like IBM with enough clout to get whatever I want.

Anyway, I called the Sprint business customer service line. Explained what I had today, said I'm the only person on the plan who uses data, then said I was interested in an EVO 4G, but had been told I needed to upgrade to a plan that would put data on all 4 lines which would cost me an additional $45 per month.

The rep said "That's absolutely not true. I can substitute the EVO for what you have now, you'll just have to pay the additional $10 premium data fee for the Evo."

I now have the EVO on order, and a confirmation number. What I'm giving up is free mobile to mobile, which isn't a big deal, as I never go over my minutes anyway; Sprint Navigation, but I can still use the HTC/Android Nav and I have a GPS unit for car use anyway; Sprint TV, which I don't care about at all, and Sprint Radio, but Pandora's better anyway.

Go for it, people. Report back on what your experience is.

I actually read and bookmarked your thread in the other forum this morning Meyer. I am very interested in seeing how this plays out for you.

I personally think that it's unethical for Sprint to force us into data plans, when all some of us want is the damn piece of hardware and cell phone service.

Upvote 0
Ethics, smethics. It's business. As much as I don't like the approach for me, Sprint has the right to build their plans any way they want to. Just as we have the right to choose to use Sprint, or another carrier.

For the record, Sprint has multiple plans that don't require data. You can get phone only, phone and messaging, or phone+messaging+data. My complaint is that on a shared plan, you either pay for data on all phones, or on none.

Upvote 0
For the record, Sprint has multiple plans that don't require data. You can get phone only, phone and messaging, or phone+messaging+data. My complaint is that on a shared plan, you either pay for data on all phones, or on none.

But I cannot get phone only, and use that service on whatever hardware I want! If I want an EVO, they force me to buy their data plan, which is unnecessary for me. That is an unethical, slimy business practice.

Upvote 0
It appears that you can get an EVO without an Everything Data plan.

I also have a Sprint business account (IBM). I was told that the Everything Data plan is required. I too have a shared plan and am the only one who uses data, and want to keep my existing plan!

Bluefish is the Sprint business partner for IBM. Is that who you went through as well? If so do you remember the name of the rep. you spoke with? Thanks.

Upvote 0
The Sprint business e-care rep who told me I wouldn't have to change my plan is being sent to a re-education camp somewhere in Afghanistan. :(

Before I activated the phone, I called back and got a different rep. I told him about my conversation with the first rep, and he was most apologetic, but confirmed that I would need an Everything Data plan, on all lines, period.

However, he did volunteer to get a supervisor to see if there was anything else they could do for me. In the end, I got a 10% discount on top of my existing 15% corporate discount. Better than nothing.

Back to the ethics question: While I don't like it, I don't agree it's unethical. It would be unethical if they hid the fact from you, and you got a sudden huge bill you weren't expecting.

Say you're looking at a car that has a choice of V6 or V8 engines. Odds are the V8 version comes with a whole bunch of things standard that aren't on the V6. The manufacturer is "forcing" you to buy that other stuff if you want the "better" engine. But you still have the choice of not buying that car if you don't want to pay for all the extra features. Like it or not, this kind of bundling is pretty commonplace.

Upvote 0
You've got to realize some reps are just plain dumb. The system is so locked down they sometimes speak before they actually run through the whole process. They no longer have the ability to override and adjust.

The bottom line (not directed at you meyer), if you want the newest hardware you have to pay to play. Simple enough. Not slimy and not unethical. You can be grandfathered on SERO or use the other lesser plans if you don't upgrade to the latest and greatest. But the new toys go with the new plans, and that's just the way it is. If you don't like it, get a BB or TP2. This is one of the few industries where people feel entitled to their ancient plans. I'd love to still pay $1.50 for gas, $30 for my cable bill and so on. It just isn't happening. You still enjoy cheaper rates than Verizon and AT&T. You enjoy similar rates to T-Mobile but generally have much better coverage country wide. So there shouldn't be any real beef unless you just want to whine and vent. You're not entitled to anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones