Evo wont boot up - Flashing red LED - I need help asap please


  1. surfologist87

    surfologist87 Well-Known Member

    Well, my evo wont boot up. I woke up this morning with it off, and the LED was blinking red.

    Last night the phone was on when i went to bed, and fine. Ive done some research and pretty much, i have to take it in to sprint now. But im rooted.. This kinda sucks.

    I have pulled battery, let it sit without the battery for a few minutes, tried different chargers, tried to get into hboot... nothing.

    2 nights ago, i had a little overheating issue, where i left it on and under a pillow for a couple hours. It got pretty warm. But i immediately pulled the battery and let it cool. It has worked for two days without a single issue, so i figured it was ok.

    Edit:: I know if i cant get it on, then how could a tech get it on.. But say they do, First off: I have a custom splash screen. Then i have a custom boot screen. I will be toast when they see that. lol

    Advertisement
    :
  2. andygu3

    andygu3 Well-Known Member

    Can you charge the phone?
  3. surfologist87

    surfologist87 Well-Known Member

    No sir. Actually, thanks for pointing that out. When i plug it in, it blinks red.

    When its not plugged in or when it is, i cant get it to turn on.
  4. Munnarg

    Munnarg Well-Known Member

    The red light usually flashes when the battery is completely drained I think. If you tried charging and it still didn't come on then maybe you need a new battery? I'd go to the store and try to swap out the battery and see if that works.
  5. akazabam

    akazabam Well-Known Member

    Yeah, unfortunately, you're going to have to bring it in. The best thing to do is test it with a different battery, which they can do if you bring it in. If you're worried about them finding out immediately that it's rooted (they might or might not), you can always try to find somebody near you who would be willing to test with their battery.
  6. surfologist87

    surfologist87 Well-Known Member

    Thanks for the help guys. I tried a different battery and it booted up fine.

    So, i put my old battery in, and left it for a while, and once it got a little bit of a charge, it worked. Somehow my battery got down to absolutely nothing last night,but while it was plugged in. Any ideas why the charger just shut off and let it go down to 0?
    I dont remember it being very low last night either, which is also odd that it diminished so much, but oh well.

    I was sweating bringing it in, but seems like i should be ok now, just to find out why it didnt even charge it last night.
    andygu3 likes this.
  7. akazabam

    akazabam Well-Known Member

    Interesting. Normally, it's fairly easy to account for quick battery drain (I've had it happen when I accidentally had the screen stay on for 5 hours, for example), but that doesn't account for:

    a) the battery draining *far* beyond what the phone should allow it to, and
    b) this happening while the phone was plugged in

    I'd say it's either a faulty (flaky, at least) battery or charger. You mentioned overheating (plus a new battery worked), so I'll guess it's a battery issue. Whether it was a one time thing, or if it's going to happen again, I guess remains to be seen.
  8. surfologist87

    surfologist87 Well-Known Member

    I hear ya.
    Now that i think about it, i remember about a week ago (before overheating my phone) I plugged it into the charger with say...80 percent left. I came back some time later and had 70-something. I thought it was odd. I cant remember for the life of me if the light was on and the icon was showing that it was charging. But i unplugged ..waited.. replugged and all was fine. But now i wonder whats up. Its happend twice now in about a weeks time.
  9. akazabam

    akazabam Well-Known Member

    Hmm, now that is interesting. I think you've got a problem with either the charger or the battery, there (sounds like the battery to me, but that's kind of a SWAG). You might try wiping the phone and reflashing whatever ROM you're on, just to get a baseline, then use the phone under the same conditions as before, and see if it happens again.
  10. surfologist87

    surfologist87 Well-Known Member

    I will definitely do that when i get more time.
    I am using a Blackberry charger, only because the cord is like 4 feet long..lol and i always have the cable in random places. The charger worked great, and especially while using the sbc kernels. Never overcharged or anything, gave me a really nice charge.

    The battery that this happened to is my original battery. I still have the backup (another red htc one) that im using now..because the other one has about 4 percent on it lol.

    Ill try this other battery for a while first. Maybe the SBC did something weird to the first battery. We shall see. If anything new arises, youll hear from me. Lol
  11. Granite1

    Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

    I remember reading before I got an evo that there were problems with the charging ports in the phone going bad. Hopefully thats not the case. I think angels cry when an evo breaks. :(

    PS: Surfologist I know what you mean about the ninjas....so very sneaky...
  12. surfologist87

    surfologist87 Well-Known Member

    Lol! I love ninjas. I had this on my car for a while..but someone stole it:
    [​IMG]

    And yes, i read that a while ago too, i dont know if it is still a problem, i havent kept up with the thread. But mine is definitely very loose. It has held up until now, so im going to keep an eye on it.
  13. letsgolfw

    letsgolfw New Member

    I just ordered a new battery thinking that my battery was toast. Then I used a friends phone to do some trouble shooting. Nothing was wrong with the battery at all. The copper on the bottom of the battery wasn't getting full connection to the copper connection on the phone. Quick fix; inserted a little piece of paper to force the battery and phone to connect.
    ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
  14. ocnbrze

    ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

    Nice!!!!!
    Glad up got it fixed. Also thanx for the tip.
Loading...

Share This Page