• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo won't charge via USB

hawt

Jun 27, 2010
I have been trying to charge my Evo via USB to no avail lately.

Whenever I plug in my Evo, I select Charge Only (or if I do nothing, it selects Charge Only automatically.

My Evo then continues to charge for about 15 seconds before my screen lights up and it stops.

I checked to make sure my computer wasn't automatically mounting the USB drive or anything like that.

If I turn off my Evo it charges from the USB fine.
If I charge it from the wall it charges fine.

I have tried different USB ports and my USB hub.

I've tried resetting the Evo and my PC several times but nothing does the trick.

This wasn't an issue last night and the only thing that has changed is that I installed the new HTC update.

Edit: If I select "use as disk drive" the phone charges fine. It seems that the "Just Charge" option is broken.

have you tried a different USB cable?

Check your computer's stats... what does it say about its USB status when your Evo is plugged in or when you have other devices plugged in?

There are no errors in the control panel for the Evo. I have tried another USB cable to no avail.

Edit: This is weird though, I mounted it as a disk drive and it charged fine.

Then in the notification settings area I changed it back to "Charge Only" and now it charges fine (for the last couple of minutes at least)

I haven't tried unplugging it and plugging it back in yet though because I need to have it charged before I go to work tonight so I'm just going to let it go

Upvote 0
I had a problem a while back where it would charge via USB, but not be recognized as a drive. I had the drive option checked and the option to be asked every time I plugged the phone in, but it would only charge.

A battery pull didn't work the first time. I finally unmounted my SD card, pulled the battery, pulled the SD card and replaced it again and the battery and it worked fine again. Whether doing any of that worked, or if it just fixed itself... who knows. Hasn't happened since.

Reactions: hawt
Upvote 0
I had a problem a while back where it would charge via USB, but not be recognized as a drive. I had the drive option checked and the option to be asked every time I plugged the phone in, but it would only charge.

A battery pull didn't work the first time. I finally unmounted my SD card, pulled the battery, pulled the SD card and replaced it again and the battery and it worked fine again. Whether doing any of that worked, or if it just fixed itself... who knows. Hasn't happened since.

Well things were working fine for a bit but then it just unplugged itself. It's weird, like when it stops charging it acts like the USB cable isn't plugged in at all. The little thing doesn't pop up in the top right corner or anything.

I just got a USB cable from my roommate which seems to be working so maybe it was my cable?

If it keeps giving me trouble I'll try the battery and SD card pulls.

Thanks!
-Liam

Upvote 0
To answer your question, yes I have charging reliability issues too. Here is my situation...
Charger 1 - Evo factory - 1000ma: works 100%
Charger 2 - Samsung factory - 700ma: charges for a few minutes to a few hours, then evo stops accepting charge.
Charger 3 - generic universal - 500ma: charges for a few seconds then evo stops accepting charge.
Charger 4 - 2 usb port universal car charger - 1000ma (shared): works 100%, even when shared.

(all chargers above work 100% on Samsung Moment.)

The next test will be:
Charger 5 - computer usb port - current to be determined: n/a

I have come to a premature conclusion that the charging current is the culprit for effective charger acceptance. As for the shared current car charger working 100% (even when shared), I'm guessing it is because this charger uses a linear regulation circuit. All modern cell phone chargers use switching regulation circuitry... so my theory is that the evo has such a high loading charging current, that the voltage drop on the under rated chargers causes them to become unstable and the evo cuts the charge off. Most phone makers drop the charge load current (charges slower) when the phone sees a non-branded charger, but it seems the evo is set at max charge at all times.

Upvote 0
Ok I tried the Evo usb cable and the original Palm Treo Pro cable... both worked fine.
But the cheap generic cable I got on ebay that works fine on the Treo Pro does not work on the evo. I think it requires a larger guage. The OEM Treo Pro and Evo usb cables are thicker than the generic one that doesn't work, so take heed when buying cheap cables

Upvote 0
I have this problem with the HTC cable that came with the phone. It didn't do this before. I think it has something to do with one of the patches.

More proof, it charges fine if the phone is off and I plug it in. It's a software glitch.

I have this same issue. My phone charges fine when the phone is off, but if I turn the phone on it won't charge (via USB cable connected to computer).

EDIT:
I just figured it out. I bought several cheap kits on ebay that included various accessories- one of which was a cheap USB cable. So I had several of these cheap USB cables- and they worked until I flashed the Froyo ROM.

Anyway, I couldn't charge via USB today. The first thing I did was try another cable, then another, then a couple different computers. All the cables were the same cheap cable type though. I have now tried a different cable and it worked just fine. So the cable was the culprit for me.

Upvote 0
Same problem here when using the latest Cyanogen Mod and Fresh ROMs. My phone won't charge continuously when using the cheap eBay cables I have. But charges fine when using HTC's USB cable. I didn't have this problem with previous ROM versions.

Software issue? Anyone know of a fix besides buying better USB cables?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones