Evo won't Flash

Last Updated:

1. dagger576

dagger576 Member

Hey guys. I've got a rooted Evo 4g that has recently started refusing to flash anything properly. I'm running the Stock Rom, v. 2.3.3 and I believe the stock kernel 2.6.35.10. Lately I've been trying to find a kernel that might improve battery life. So far I've tried Godmode v.9, Netarchy 4.3.4, and Tiamat 4.0.8.

Every time I wipe the cache/dalvik cache and install a kernel, the phone will only boot to the HTC screen. After a little while the screen goes black, comes back on and it reboots directly into Amon ra. I tried clearing everything then flashing a completely new stock rom with all three of the above kernels earlier today, and got the same result each time. Fortunately, I had a nandroid backup saved so I've got my phone working again at the moment, but I'd really like to know what might be going on... Any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Well-Known Member

Tiamat is an AOSP kernel and will not work with sense roms like the stock one. Netarchy 4.3.4 is a Froyo rom and may not work with the current release but if it does it may actually cause some things not to work(like the camera I believe). I am not familiar with Godmode as a Kernel but you might check the Roms and Kernels sticky to look for links to the kernels for the current software release. That may be your issue.
    dagger576 and ocnbrze like this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

As stated above, the kernels your trying to flash aren't compatible with the ROM your running. Try chopsuey or the more freedom kernel for sense ROMS
  4. ndh777

ndh777 Well-Known Member

As previously stated, you are using kernels that only work with certain types of ROMs.

There are two different kinds of ROMs available that I know of for the Evo
    -ASOP
    -Sense

ASOP ROMs are built from scratch while Sense ROMs are usually built off of the stock ROM, hence why most of these don't look much different than the stock ROM.

I would suggest visiting HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers for a complete list of available ROMs as well as kernels.

Certain kernels only work with certain ROMs.

Currently, I am running CM7 with a Tiamat kernel. CM7 is an ASOP ROM and this kernel is amazing for battery life and has been for the last couple of weeks.

When getting ROMs and kernels, I would advise for you, as a beginner I presume, to get ROMs and kernels with the second to latest version to ensure that you don't run into many problems unless the latest version seems okay and stable enough to use.
  5. dagger576

dagger576 Member

You guys were totally right. i'm trying ChopSUEY at the moment, working great. Thanks for taking the time to reply!
    ndh777 likes this.