EVO works overseas-Asia

Last Updated:

1. iijyanaika

iijyanaika Member This Topic's Starter

I'm in seoul, south korea right now, and my phone is getting data roaming. i was bummed when buying the phone knowing it wasn't going to have a sim slot, but apparently in south korea it's working. i received a few texts, and a couple calls already(i will be calling sprint to not charge me, since before i left i made the support guy clarify that my phone wouldn't work besides the wifi)

i'll be going to japan in a couple weeks, so i'll see if it works there as well.

for those interested i've been getting the roaming signal from namyangju-dongdaemoon-goori-incheon, and i'll soon be going down to ulsan and pusan.

Advertisement
  2. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

some asian countries have cdma technology so wherever cdma networks are set up u should have service

3. Nvius

Nvius Member

Interested if you get signal in Japan. I'll be going there in August. Subscribed!

4. iijyanaika

iijyanaika Member This Topic's Starter

i'll for sure be going to tokyo, i'll be around narita to odaiba. possibilities are kyoto and hokkaido. so i'll update about japan when i get there in a couple weeks

5. muncher

muncher Well-Known Member

hope you don't see a $5 trillion dollar international roaming charge on your bill next month

6. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I'd like to see you get out of this bill. You say the tech told you the phone would not work. He/She NEVER said you wouldnt get charged. It's in your contract that you have to pay for any international roaming. So good luck with that.

7. herzzreh

herzzreh Active Member

I'd be surprised if a GSM phone worked in Korea. :)
    Good chunks of Asia (as well as Latin America) has CDMA. As a matter of fact, Korea is CDMA-only.

If you're hell-bent on using your Sprint service overseas, just call them and buy their SIM card for 15 bucks and use a GSM phone. Me personally? I go for local pre-paid. I refuse to pay outrageous rates that all U.S. operators charge for foreign roaming.

8. herzzreh

herzzreh Active Member

Most larger places have CDMA service. As a matter of fact, only 3G (not sure about their "4G" deployment) is available in Japan.

9. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

On the calls you received, did the caller just dial your regular number and Sprint found you in South Korea? That's pretty cool. Bet they charged you a lot though.

10. herzzreh

herzzreh Active Member

Looks like he doesn't have the $5 international calling plan, so, if I remember correctly... Korea is $2.25/min for incoming and outgoing and $0.016/KB for data. Oh, and no EV-DO...

This may not seem a lot, but last time I used my US operator overseas, I paid nearly $700, two thirds of it being data. I didn't have a chance to get a local SIM card and things necessitated phone use... :(

11. ryohei47

ryohei47 Well-Known Member

yes, which was a bummer for me. i brought my old blackberry pearl to japan, no phone usage for me

12. herzzreh

herzzreh Active Member

Ah, noob gaijin fail. :)

Don't feel too bad, I did the same the first time around. Actually, the only phone that I own that works over there is my old and trusty Treo 750. Awesome hardware (for its time obviously), but sucky OS.