• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo4g 2.3.3 - rEVOlutionary stuck on "waiting for fastboot"

Hello all,

I've done a LOT of searching/reading, and though I've seen others mention that they hit this problem, either the answers they posted don't apply to me or they didn't post their solution. Thanks in advance for *any* ideas. Here goes.

- Using WinXP (Virtualbox VM on a Mac) with HTC Drivers (HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe) installed.
- I have Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed on the root of the phone.
- No HTC Sync, Antivirus realtime protection turned off.
- Fast boot off (unchecked in Settings->applications)
- USB Debugging ON
- Connected via USB cable with 'charge only'
- I have not done a factory data reset on my phone

I run revolutionary.exe, it asks for my beta key, accepts it. Things seem great until my phone reboots into HBOOT, S-On, then just sits while my windows terminal shows "Waiting for fastboot..." on the last line. Then nothing. I've tried rebooting phone and WinXP, unplugging and replugging, etc. about 10 times.

I'm following http androidforums com/evo-4g-all-things-root/395962-rooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

and trying http androidforums com/evo-4g-all-things-root/436047-rooting-gb-amon-ra-v2-3-recovery.html

I get:
----------

=============================================
| Revolutionary S-OFF & Recovery Tool 0.4pre4 |
=============================================
Brought to you by AlphaRev & unrEVOked.

Waiting for device...
Found your device: PC36100 (supersonic-2.16.0001, Android: 2.3.3, ROM version: 4
.54.651.1)

This is a beta release and requires a beta release key.
Please visit: revolutionary.io for more information.

Enter beta key [ serial: HT05NHL05821 ]: *I enter my beta key here*
Beta key accepted - thank you for participating!

Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so.. Root acquired!
Sending in Caroline...
Cleaning up...
Rebooting to fastboot...
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back!

Waiting for fastboot...
----------

Just sits here forever while my phone is in HBOOT, which still says S-On. From what I gather, it's supposed to automatically reboot again and prompt me if I want to install recovery. That second reboot never happens. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks, ocnbrze.

From my original post:
"ideas. Here goes.

- Using WinXP (Virtualbox VM on a Mac) with HTC Drivers (HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe) installed.
- Fast boot off (unchecked in Settings->applications)"

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks, ocnbrze.

From my original post:
"ideas. Here goes.

- Fast boot off (unchecked in Settings->applications)"

Oooops. Missed that. Lol

Out of curiosity what is your hboot?

Upvote 0
OK, I figured it out!!!

This should be added to the rooting guide to help users with Macs that want to use a Windows VM. Mods, can you help here?

Basically, the KEY to the whole thing is that for Caroline to see fastboot, is that you have to toggle VirtualBox's USB controller off and then back on... I had to do it twice.

Do this by going to the top menu bar in VirtualBox, selecting Devices->USB Devices->usb, Android [0100]

toggle it once, wait a second, then boom Caroline does her thing and says something about rebooting once Moar
toggle it again, wait a second, then boom it asks if you want to download and install Recovery.

In the Mac via Virtualbox with Ubunu guide ([Guide]Using Revolutionary and Getting Soff on a MAC - xda-developers) it alludes that you need to toggle the USB off and back on, but he tells you how to do it through the OS. You can install in any Windows version (I'd guess) by toggling through the VirtualBox top menu.

I really hope this helps others.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones