EVO4G Hotspot & Playstation 3 replacing Uverse

Last Updated:

1. rudygetz

rudygetz Member This Topic's Starter

I'm curious with all the added fee's that are related with utilizing the EVO to it's maximum potential would it be a "worthy" replacement to my existing internet provided by ATT Uverse?

What I'm most concerned about is playing online with my PS3...I currently have a 1.5 mb connection and I see what the EVO Hot Spot advertises...but do you guys think I can do without my ATT Uverse wireless connection and let this phone do that job for me? Eliminating a monthly bill and adding these new fee's.

Advertisement
  2. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

Latency which you are going to find in any cell phone based setup or data card setup will not work well for gaming.

3. Spincycle76

Spincycle76 Member

Are you in a 4g Market, and can you get 4g at your house? Word is that 4g is much better on latency then is 3g, so it may not be as much of a problem.

4. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I use wimax at home for service but I would never do it via a phone. If you are in a 4g market, look into getting Clear service for home. It's about $35/month and on par with decent dsl or lower end cabe. I get about 5-6mbps down and around 1mbps up. Good enough for gaming and movies and web but you would probably want more if you are a compulsive torrenter or something. Phone hardware isn't optimized to be your always-on internet connection and you will be disappointed.

5. rudygetz

rudygetz Member This Topic's Starter

I'm in Miami, FL which is supposed to get 4g around the time the EVO comes out but if it isn't going to mesh well with gaming then I'll pass. Thanks for everyone's .02 I really appreciate it.

6. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

this absolutly will not work for gaming... your latency will be around 3-4 hundred. you can have all the speed you want but if you dont have the land line connection your gonna have slows in traffic that = bad lag spikes

7. Reveille

Reveille Active Member

You realize clear is same signal EVO uses so you could use phone as wifi instead of clear router and save the $35 per month on clear

8. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

It is a phone not a router/modem. It is made to be a mobile device, not your home internet connection. It will not work. At most you are going to put alot of strain on your phone which will wear it out quicker.

Chances are that it is not the same signal. Wimax has two favors. 802.16e and 802.16m. If you have a desktop router, then chances are it is e, evo will be m.

septro likes this.
  9. septro

septro Well-Known Member

God forbid you want to run voicechat over the mobile hotspot...

I guess it really comes down to getting the phone and seeing how good/bad the 4G service in your area is going to be. I'll be getting rid of my Verizon Aircard I use on my laptop and use the hotspot service as I'll save 10bucks doing so. To each his own.

10. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I agree, but for me anything below 100ms latency would still be playable with a little disadvantage. Anything more than 300ms, you'll literally be dead before you know it. :)

11. DUBious

DUBious Well-Known Member

Clear uses both. one for mobile air cards and other for desk top. it is running on the exact same thing.

12. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Op: for gaming... no way jose. Latency latency latency.

And to clear up(maybe?) the questions about clear(ha! Pun!)

The home 4g *should* work better due to having more power to run, and a better attenna

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.