• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ex iPhone users support, tips, and overall new experience thread

Hi all! I have been an apple user for the last 4 years. I am not a hugely techy person, but I very much want to learn. After an extensive bit of research, I decided to get the Galaxy Skyrocket. So far, I really like this phone. But it's been an adjustment. It took me forever to find an organizer app that I liked, and truthfully, I just use the calendar that came preloaded. I especially enjoy the "Agenda" widget that is part of it. I like the task manager widget too...I don't know if you are really supposed to do this, but if I do something like email, or text message or even a game, I make sure to check the task manager and exit out of all of them before putting my phone down. The battery is not what I was used to on the Iphone 4.
There are really only 2 things that are maddeningly frustrating for me:
1. My Voice Action won't work. I don't care about speaking emails, or texts, or searching stuff...I was never all that impressed with Siri. What I DO want is the ability to press a button, speak a contact's name, and have my phone dial that number accurately and immediately without my having to push the send button. right now, whenever I say a contact's name I either get a google search for that person, or instead of calling my roommate i end up dialing a photography studio in Pennsylvania. I just want to be able to voice dial my contacts either from the phone or (preferrably) from a bluetooth headset as well.
2. I'd like to be able to choose a contact from my favorites (by just clicking on their picture or name) and having the phone automatically dial that person without opening up their contact info and my having to press "send". I know this sounds a little nitpicky, but those two issues are really the only ones I have. I would appreciate any and all advice on resolving these.

I discovered the Go SMS Pro last night and LOVE it! It's amazing to me! All of that customization just right there is so COOL!

Overally I like it. Getting used the size was a learning curve and I haven't gotten proficient at the Swype thing yet, but I'm getting there. Thanks for reading.
GK

Upvote 0
You might try one of the siri type apps like vlingo or assistant, there are several to choose from. They will voice dial for you, but they can be hit or miss on understanding what you say when speaking some contact names.

As far as one touch calling, the closest thing I can think of would be to use the GO SMS feature when that contact is displayed.

Upvote 0
I have had my Skyrocket for almost a week now and I really like this phone. I came from an iphone 3gs and this is so much better for me now. The speed is amazing with 4g LTE in the Dallas area and everything looks so sharp on the screen. The map function works great for me since I am a courier.

Two of my favorite apps so far are Comodo Antivirus which has some great features and Juice Defender which really does help with the battery life.

Upvote 0
Hello All -

I'm about a week into using my SR, and its getting a bit easier. I've been on the iphone since the original one. As someone mentioned earlier, if the iphone 5 does come out with a screen greater then 4.2; and works on the LTE network, there's a good chance i'd go back.

There are some really nice things with the android OS, and some really tough things that I have to get used to. One of the biggest issues is the keyboard, I am probably 10x slower on they samsung / android keyboard inputs. It was extremely frustrating. Someone mentioned Swiftkey here and that has been very helpful.

What I do miss on my iphone is the ability to skip tracks from the lock screen with pandora. I have yet to figure out if this is possible, so if someone out there knows, please let me know. Is there a way to switch applications quickly? I've seen on tablet ICS that its real simple, but don't know if that's yet available on the SR. There are plenty of times, where my actions with my iphone was to double tap the the home button and switch apps real quickly.

Anyways, that's my first take over my week. Might report back in a month to provide anymore feedback.

Upvote 0
I hope it's ok to post this question in this thread because I'm hoping I can get an answer from someone that knows iPhone.

I have a friend that lives halfway across my country (Canada) who owns an iPhone and is not very tech-savvy. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE and have tried to send him a tune (mp3) here and there via email (yes I realize I shouldn't be doing that, but anyways...). He said he receives it but doesn't know how he can listen to it. Being that he's so far away, I can't help him out much. I've done this for my wife and she has a Blackberry, same with my other buddy's Android...no problems accessing and opening the song.

Any iPhone or ex-iPhone users that can help?
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Even if he\she receives it on the iPhone, they can't save it or anything.

Do you have Dropbox? If yes, upload the file there, and email them a link. They should be able to thus at least listen to it via the Dropbox app.

I hope it's ok to post this question in this thread because I'm hoping I can get an answer from someone that knows iPhone.

I have a friend that lives halfway across my country (Canada) who owns an iPhone and is not very tech-savvy. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE and have tried to send him a tune (mp3) here and there via email (yes I realize I shouldn't be doing that, but anyways...). He said he receives it but doesn't know how he can listen to it. Being that he's so far away, I can't help him out much. I've done this for my wife and she has a Blackberry, same with my other buddy's Android...no problems accessing and opening the song.

Any iPhone or ex-iPhone users that can help?
Thank you.

Upvote 0
i had an iphone once. switched to android recently and loved it...for a while.

i am doing my second factory reset in 4 months. this sucks! my download speeds have been 2mbps. spoke with ATT and samsung and both suggested this reset. i have to re-customize my skyrocket AGAIN. this is what i hated about my first android experience- too much work too maintain performance.

i'm hating android right now!

one hour later and factory reset did not work. i will be getting a refurbished phone. i am very disappointed. this is my second experience with an android phone and my second lemon. to re-customize my phone will take several hours. i will re-evaluate ever buying an android after my current contract expires. when this phone was good, it was great. but 2 factory re-sets in 4 months...too much.

Upvote 0
Hello All -

I'm about a week into using my SR, and its getting a bit easier. I've been on the iphone since the original one. As someone mentioned earlier, if the iphone 5 does come out with a screen greater then 4.2; and works on the LTE network, there's a good chance i'd go back.

There are some really nice things with the android OS, and some really tough things that I have to get used to. One of the biggest issues is the keyboard, I am probably 10x slower on they samsung / android keyboard inputs. It was extremely frustrating. Someone mentioned Swiftkey here and that has been very helpful.

You have totally missed the single feature that is the iphone killer for me. "long press" on any input box, select input method, and select SWYPE. Unlike swiftkey, it is built in. It is so much better than the single key input that iphone has.. or the reg keyboard on the android. I can write long notes with just my thumb. No fuss no muss. Try it and you will be happy.

Upvote 0
Alright I'm a noob so hopefully no one will judge me. I love working with technology and messing with things like phones etc. but some things I just do not know yet and was hoping everyone can help me out in any sort or way? 1st question is what is the code you dial usually starts with a # or a * to get into more settings or extra things on the phone? and secondly any advice from anyone on anything I can do for customization? without root for now. I will be rooting later but not just yet.

Running ICS Kies version.
-Samsung GS2 Skyrocket =)

Upvote 0
Hate to say it.

I had the iPhone 4s since its launch. Yesterday I bought the skyrocket. I already returned the skyrocket. The original gs2 is much better than the skyrocket.

On the skyrocket the screen looks terrible. Brightness always changes even with auto off. Phone is laggy.

Camera is terrible compared to iPhone.

Dude you are so wrong apple is nothing anymore they used to be the best and now a basic old school gba kills apple ill stick with my gs2 skyrocket

Upvote 0
I have a gs2 skyrocket and its maybe three months old. Now km not tech stupid so ivr looked atound n tried things on my own to fix this but i have a 32 gb sd card in my phone n it says im out of memory kn mh.sd xard all the time like no im not theres 29gigs left lol so if someone could pls enlighten me as to how i could go about fixing this vesidss factory or hard reset id appreciate it i bouvht that amount of room for a reason i have 756 song n over 300 pics on mg phone but that doesnt take up that mych space yk SOMEONE PLS HELP ME

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones