Exchange ActiveSync after ROM replacement, what changes?


Last Updated:

  1. Eris Ed

    Eris Ed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    Messages:
    982
    Likes Received:
    248
    OK, I had Exchange running with my work email on the stock mail app when my Desire had 2.1, and after the 2.2 update from Orange. Everything worked well, contacts and calender entries synced perfectly, and mail was pushed at the same time as it arrived at my desktop. Last week I flashed LeeDroid 2.2f and the only thing that is having trouble after restoring my apps and data is my exchange account.

    Basically, I started getting an error message saying the contacts could not be synced. Calender items wouldn't update. Mail would still be received when I opened the app to check manually, or would arrive with the normal notification at 8pm (when the mail app changes from Peak time to Offpeak)

    Push mail is still enabled for peak and off peak.

    I knew my Exchange account settings so I removed the mail data and rebooted the phone, then set up the Exchange account again. Info was accepted but I now get a message saying that the certificate is invalid (didn't get this before adding LeeDroid). Going past this screen verifies my account info and I get the screen asking what I want to sync (main, contacts and calender). This causes a message "Account could not be created, please try again later".

    Deleting the account data again and restoring the Titanium backup for the mail client brings everything back and I get mail again, but with the same problems with calender, contacts and the 8pm mail delivery described above.

    So what's going on? The IT monkey checked the server and it showed a successful sync from my Desire at the right time as I checked for new mail, but something had changed. There must be a reason why I can't set up Exchange again after flashing a ROM. I've searched the Forums and Google for answers for the last few days without success.

    Any help or suggestions appreciated!
     

    Advertisement
  2. SUroot

    SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    Messages:
    23,925
    Likes Received:
    5,304
    Have you asked in the leedroid thread too?
    No idea myself although I have seen similar threads here where not rooted but may just be outlook sync
     
  3. Eris Ed

    Eris Ed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    Messages:
    982
    Likes Received:
    248
    Dan - I've been reading threads in XDA for about a week now, still no joy. Posted a question in the LeeDroid thread and waiting for a reply.
     
  4. SUroot

    SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    Messages:
    23,925
    Likes Received:
    5,304
    Try a factory reset. You can restore afterwards with nandroid or titanium.

    Be interesting to see if it works "out of the box" if not, Rom issue. If it works, data.

    At least if you can narrow down where the fault is, It could make root cause analysis easier
     
  5. Eris Ed

    Eris Ed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    Messages:
    982
    Likes Received:
    248
    I was going to try a factory reset before I heard a discussion on Android Central about Exchange. It appears that the Android mail client works in a slightly different way to the stock clients included by manufacturers (HTC, Motorola, etc). Exchange worked for me when I was using the HTC client, and I'm fairly sure that LeeDroid uses Android, hence the sync issues.

    Anyhow, I installed Touchdown from the Market and everything works now. In fact, Touchdown has far more features and options compared to any stock mail client. I'm really pleased with it, even though it costs $19.99.
     
  6. SUroot

    SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    Messages:
    23,925
    Likes Received:
    5,304
    Cool.

    I didnt know Leedroid used Android mail client.
     
  7. Eris Ed

    Eris Ed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    Messages:
    982
    Likes Received:
    248
    I can't be sure myself about this, I get conflicting info depending on the source. But it certainly looks like the sync problems are related to the mail client and the certificates/security protocols that each client uses. I'm still going to research the root cause and see what I can find out, but the fact remains that TouchDown seems to be the solution to just about all Exchange problems (based on replies to Forum questions, web guides and various Podcast Q&A's)
     

Share This Page

Loading...