1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Exchange - "As items arive" vs "Every X minutes" (battery use)Tips

1. Clocks

Clocks Well-Known Member

Anyone seen a difference when changing the Exchange sync settings from "Every X minutes" to "As items arrive"?

I'm not one of the poor folks with horrible battery issues, and I easily get > 1 day of normal use, just wondering if this setting will put a noticeable drain on my battery,

Advertisement
    :
  2. jackattack

jackattack Well-Known Member

The only difference I see is that I get no mail when I check "As items arrive". I let it poll every 10 minutes and, like you, I get more than a day out of the battery. I keep the charger handy just in case.
  3. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

i noticed the same, i get nothing when i check "as they arrive" option. I have to do a manual refresh.
  4. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member

I use ActiveSync for my gmail, and I get items within seconds of receiving them in my gmail inbox.
  5. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

gmail is push, you dont need active sync
  6. earthtodigi

earthtodigi Active Member

I get my gmail messages instantly when set to as items arrive, but I cannot get photo attachments, when I try to open them, it says they are corrupted. I can set up my gmail with IMAP and the same emails with photos come through just fine, just not instantly like with exchange :(
  7. andydrew

andydrew Active Member

If you want 'push' email with gmail and the native mail application, you need to use Google Sync (Gmail Sync). This is generally set up as an Exchange (ActiveSync) connection on handhelds. Otherwise you are likely using POP or IMAP access which is NOT push, it's fetch.

push = emails are updated on your mobile device, initiated by the server
    fetch = your device gets email updates on a certain time interval configured on in the device settings

Google Sync for your phone
  8. andydrew

andydrew Active Member

If you are using the GMail application, that is push. According to the chart at the link below, Google Sync

Gmail for mobile
  9. Clocks

Clocks Well-Known Member

I definitely receive emails when I set it to "As items arrive". In fact my DI gets the emails faster than my work computer.

But after a full day the battery seems unaffected, so I'll leave it on "As items arrive".
  10. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Well-Known Member

I think that I get slightly better battery life using "every 5 minutes," but I haven't had enough time to truly test.

Also, I only get notifications of emails until I go to the application and let it refresh. They're not there immediately, but this could be due to how the phone is sleeping or some other issues. Again, I haven't had enough time to fully investigate these issues as much as I would like.