Exchange Client Server Conversion Error for Contact Sync

Last Updated:

1. richyhu

richyhu New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, great forum; I've had a quick search and couldn't find any topics exactly the same as the problem I am having.

For the first ten days or so all my contacts were syncing fine on the Hero from my Exchange account. I then added a new contact in Outlook / Exchange and from this point on, every time I sync the exchange contacts it fails with a client / server conversion error in the notifications. I deleted said contact again in Outlook to no avail.

The mail and calendar are syncing fine, and I have an HTC Snap syncing to the same Exchange account on the same network (Orange UK) just fine (I know the latter is Windows Mobile but still...)

Any ideas? Or is there any way I can see a log of some sort to see why it is failing?

thanks,

rich

Advertisement
  2. MediaJunky

MediaJunky Member

I'am also getting the same error with my contacts.

Its quite interesting to note that I also have a Windows Mobile based Palm Treo Pro syncing with this exchange account.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

3. ButchersBoy

ButchersBoy Member

Hi,

I've been suffering from this also, I even have an issue outstanding with HTC.

By chance I came across a contact in Exchange that had an email stored under 'Other'. I have reassigned the email to field 'Email'. Also, I removed the Exchange account from my Hero and readded it.

Ever since then my contacts have been sync'ing fine.

Hope this helps.

James

4. norden

norden New Member

Hi guys,

I have the same problem and have tried to "wash" my contact from anything distrubing, but it doesn't seem to help.
    Please get back here if you get any answers from HTC.

norden

5. axelfro

axelfro New Member

The recommendation from HTC in this case is to factory reset the device,
    and set up everything again. Doing this I will lose all my photos taken for the contacts (taken in contact edit mode). I've not done it yet, my hope is that another solution will come up soon.

By the way, syncing with my iPOD Touch works fine.

//Axelfro

6. richyhu

richyhu New Member This Topic's Starter

I went through my contacts in Outlook with a fine tooth comb by going into the detail grid view and adding every single field to the grid to get a complete overview of what's in there. Couldn't find anything strange other than the Hero will effectively group your favorites into a category called HTC Favourites. It also puts some code into the notes field.

I deleted the exchange account from the phone re-added it, which was successful for the first sync but as soon as I deleted a contact from the phone again and re-synced I got the same error..

A factory reset doesn't sound like a very helpful suggestion from HTC...

7. MediaJunky

MediaJunky Member

I have a few observations from a long time indows Mobile user who is new to Android;

1) I have just factory reset my phone and set up ly my Exchange Account, this is working normally and as expeucted.

2) Without logging into my Google account, the Contact Card is blank.

3) As soon as I log into my Google account from the device, it breaks the exchange contacts sync with the above mentioned error. So its either the My Contact Card or the Google account sync that causes the issue with change.

Its also worth pointing out that the problem doesn't go away if you disable the contacts sync from your Google account.

8. michaelh

michaelh New Member

I had the same problem with my Hero and the only thing I did was delete the mail account and then added it again and right now everything is working just fine.

9. NiteRunner

NiteRunner Member

I see the last post on this thread was some time ago however I just got my Hero not too long ago and am having the exact same issue. Has anyone come across a fix? I don't think resetting the phone will fix the issue. This is driving me nuts! Do you think when Sprint puts out 2.1 this may be fixed?

10. ButchersBoy

ButchersBoy Member

Are you using the Hero's Facebook support, linking to your contacts? My Exchange issue has gone away now, it was quite a while ago but I think it's been gone ever since I disconnected the Facebook link. (It's OK to use the Facebook or Bloo apps). And when you disconnect it you might have to delete your Exchange link and recreate one more time...

11. NiteRunner

NiteRunner Member

Okay, strange, I just checked a contact in Outlook/Exchange that I changed in my phone and although I still get the syncing error, it did make the update to the contact in Outlook/Exchange so I think it is working? Really weird.

12. NiteRunner

NiteRunner Member

Yes, I am using the Facebook links and was wondering it this may be part of it. I really didn't want to lose those links but I'll remove them when I have a moment and see if it fixes it. Thanks!

13. Fat Jonny

Fat Jonny Member

I'm now getting this on my calender. It happened after I edited a meeting with the HTC that was originally set up in Outlook. Deleting the account and starting over to fix.

14. dwcoffin

dwcoffin New Member

This issue seems to be prevalent with the Android dating back to even last year. I found other forum items where HTC Hero users experienced same in 2009.

From what I can tell and have tested (your mileage may vary) is that it occurs with either calendar or contact items that have been deleted from the Android device. For whatever reason Android is not able to work with Exchange (2003 in my environment) to have them deleted from the account, thus creating the "Conversion Sync errors".

Manually deleting the item from your Exchange/Outlook client removes the "issue" and it begins to sync normally again.

Not elegant, but a work around!

Hey HTC whats up with that? Can we get a resolution already!?

15. haoleboy

haoleboy New Member

just joining the discussion as i just got the htc myTouch 4g - tmobile .. and the trouble started a few days after i got it .. i had read several different blog posts .. tried some .. completely removing my exchange acct .. deleting the calendar data from the app management .. etc .. then readding my exchange acct .. thos steps always worked TEMPORARILY .. but the error always came back (that being the client/server conversion error) .. but basically ONLY on my calendar .. i read dwcoffins post and BAM .. that did the trick .. (so far) ;)) .. it seems that if i make edits on my phone .. i get the error .. but once i do it directly in my exchange account it syncs w/o error .. (so far) ;)) THANKS DWCOFFIN .. I THINK you have given me the golden bandaid .. tho i have to add that THIS NEEDS to be addressed by HTC .. i have a samsung galaxy s and NEVER had this trouble .. so i am of the belief that it is effecting (and it seems that a HUGE majority of people having this problem are also) users of HTC androids .. i could be wrong there but from what i see and read HTC is a common denominator .. hope there is a better/real and permanent fix soon ... ok i have said enough :eek:

16. jonathanwsmith

jonathanwsmith New Member

DWCoffin Rocks indeed!

I don't remember the calendar event I deleted from my Android, and I'd delete it from within Outlook Calendar if I knew how to find it.

Would a log have captured this activity? If so, would someone please tell me how to access it?

Thanks,

Jonathan Smith

17. NickParker

NickParker New Member

I found that deleting the ActiveSync account left behind all recurring entries in the Calendar (like Birthdays).

These were then replicated to the new account and seemed to cause a block.

Deleting these replicated entries before importing the mailbox data solved the problem.

I count this as a bug - deleting the account in the phone should delete ALL account data, and not leave behind a list of recurring appointments.

Nick