Exchange contact sync

Last Updated:

1. marcus7601

marcus7601 New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok first post here:

I am today using the Hero to sync Mail and Calender via Exchange using HTC own software. However, i am hesitating regarding contacts. All i want is to receive the adresses in our Company Directory into my phone. But will my phone try to upload my (private) contacts into exchange? I have not found any rules to be set about this.
    Can anyone shed any light on this?

Advertisement
  2. hero_101

hero_101 Well-Known Member

Hi I used to use Gmail, Active sync (work) and Outlook (offline copy of gmail). The phone held all 3 of them separately and you could view them independently if needed via tick box filter.
    But then only I realised Gmail and phone (outlook) were synced to gmail and this caused lots of issues as Gmail is one way sync and outlook 2 way, so I got rid of them both.

Now I use "only" exchange, I combine my personal and work as it's easier for me. But AFIK Exchange and gmail don't mix up so should be OK

3. Hrochnick

Hrochnick Well-Known Member

When creating a new contact on the phone you can specify the type, if you select 'phone' then it will not be synced with exchange. But, I can see no way of editing current contacts to change their type... hmm...

I do the same as hero_101, far easier and quicker for me to sort all my contacts in exchange and just sync it. This is my personal address book in outlook and not visible to anyone else. If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to see your company directory, I think you may be disappointed. As far as I am aware that's not possible at the mo, you can only see your personal ones.

4. marcus7601

Im not sure but i think i Can access Company directory. I Can see the folderwhen writing an email. But i still wonder about the rules when syncing.
    Thanks f

5. Hrochnick

Holy crap, you're right! I thought if you can see it, then so should I and went about some random button pressing... suddenly, there it was! Not exactly easy to find, certainly not logical or intuitive, but it is there. When composing an email, I pressed the menu button, then add recipient and then to (even though I didn't already have a recipient there), and there was the option I'd be looking for for so long! Marvelous, thanks marcus.

Now. What's your wonder with the rules? If you can see the directory, you don't need to sync at all if you don't want to, just search for the person you need in the email app and bobs your uncle... no?

6. marcus7601

Hehe, as a newbie i am glad to help.
    I have never synced contacts so my corporate folder is empty. My question is: syncing is a two way street, right? Often in these syncing softwares you can set policies of how things are synced. I want to sync corporate adresses to my phone. But idont want to upload the contacts i already in my phone into the corporate adress book.
    Ithink the corporate adress book is called GAL in better terms.

7. hero_101

hero_101 Well-Known Member

Marcus, you don't need to sync the global address list, why would you want to sync it?? In my work place the GAL has over 100,000 addresses, if I synced that to my phone i guess it would simply stop working. That is why OWA provides the GLA so that you use server side to do the wildcard search etc

8. marcus7601

So it was that easy? Works perfect ! Thank-you!

9. Hrochnick

It's probably not actually possible to sync the GAL anyway, is it? Even if you wanted to...

Anyway, isn't it lovely when it all works out in the end? Or as someone else once said "I love it when a plan comes together"!