• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

exchange droid?

baa269

Jan 3, 2010
Now im debating on returning my droid and going the tour... im not sure those of you who have had both please give me an unbiased opinion.
ive never had a bb before droid is 2nd smartphone but im having problems with it. uninstalled everything factory reset reboot.. its basically running like crap not sure if its faulty from factory as some people have experienced. any thoughts please let me know.

Now im debating on returning my droid and going the tour... im not sure those of you who have had both please give me an unbiased opinion.
ive never had a bb before droid is 2nd smartphone but im having problems with it. uninstalled everything factory reset reboot.. its basically running like crap not sure if its faulty from factory as some people have experienced. any thoughts please let me know.

What do you want from a smartphone? Why did you buy the Droid? Why are you considering a Tour? You will not get an unbiased opinion here nor would you get one at blackberryforums.com. You will get mostly opinions from people who are sure they made the right choice and don't understand why anyone would consider anything else.

The Tour is a great phone. I have one for work, my Mom has one, and I almost traded the Storm 2 for a Tour instead of a Droid when I decided I didn't like the Storm 2.

The Droid is a great phone. It does a lot of cool things and has a lot of neat apps. But since we don't know what's important to you, it's very hard to advise what you should do.

How far into your 30 days do you have? Can you afford to exchange for another Droid or do you only have a day or two and you will be stuck with it whether you ever learn to like it or not?

Asking whether the Droid or Tour is better is sort of like asking whether apples or oranges or better.

Upvote 0
ive got 9 days to exchange.. i got it within the extended return exchange period says it on my invoice. basically i used to have the sprint htc mogul and loved it the phone never left my hands. i wanted something similar and was hooked before i knew about the droid on a BB. i went with the droid not knowing much about it due to a friends recommendation on it being far better than a BB. but i have had more problems with this phone lately and im not sure if the problems are from the factory as a faulty unit as some have complained about. ive never had a BB so i was just going to swap the droid out for one and if the BB sucks then give the droid another go since id have another 30 days from that one.

dont get me wrong i like the droid its the closet thing to a mogul... but the faults ive seen in it right now are outweihing the good.. but like i said above not sure if its just a faulty unit.. everyone at work has BB and eventually work will start paying for my phone service but you have to have a berry cause your basically on call 24/7 then....

i know the droids roted now and the possibilities are endless but im not all that into the open programming and customizing with the terminal emulator... my friend let me play around on his and it just doesnt get me or i dont get that??

As far as the rest of the phone its a crafty gadget to have and seems BB does everything the droid does?? not sure just going off of what ive been told and seen. basically im just looking for opinions..from what ive read and seen online the droid could be dated within a few months when the new set of droid phones come out and eventually phased out.. and seems that BB just updates the os and brings out differnet models of the phone..

i dont know someone set me straight if they have the time.

Upvote 0
over the past few months i've went from the bb tour >> droid eris >> and now hopefully the droid... imho, if u had an option, i'd rather you get the eris than the tour. i hear people that use their phone for not only business but also people that use it simply for a phone that they are moving away from bb and going toward these phones. the tour was a great phone and felt good, but the only thing i really felt i got from it rather than the eris was the fact that it had bbmessenger. other than that, browsing the web was ridiculously hard and slow. but the eris seemed to top the bb in every way i can think of, but then again this is just my opinion and from what i heard others say. i want more power from my phone before i commit so im getting the droid now (unless motorola screws me over and announces a better phone coming out in january on the 6th)..

so my view -- no tour.. keep droid. i dont do any rooting or anything either but the phone is just great for everything.

-jen

Upvote 0
ive got 9 days to exchange.. i got it within the extended return exchange period says it on my invoice. basically i used to have the sprint htc mogul and loved it the phone never left my hands. i wanted something similar and was hooked before i knew about the droid on a BB. i went with the droid not knowing much about it due to a friends recommendation on it being far better than a BB. but i have had more problems with this phone lately and im not sure if the problems are from the factory as a faulty unit as some have complained about. ive never had a BB so i was just going to swap the droid out for one and if the BB sucks then give the droid another go since id have another 30 days from that one.

dont get me wrong i like the droid its the closet thing to a mogul... but the faults ive seen in it right now are outweihing the good.. but like i said above not sure if its just a faulty unit.. everyone at work has BB and eventually work will start paying for my phone service but you have to have a berry cause your basically on call 24/7 then....

i know the droids roted now and the possibilities are endless but im not all that into the open programming and customizing with the terminal emulator... my friend let me play around on his and it just doesnt get me or i dont get that??

As far as the rest of the phone its a crafty gadget to have and seems BB does everything the droid does?? not sure just going off of what ive been told and seen. basically im just looking for opinions..from what ive read and seen online the droid could be dated within a few months when the new set of droid phones come out and eventually phased out.. and seems that BB just updates the os and brings out differnet models of the phone..

First, your 30 days does not start all over when you exchange. So, you still will only have 9 days left (or less if you don't exchange today).

You still did not really say what you want to do with your device. Saying "seems BB does everything the droid does" isn't exactly true.

I've used both and love both of them as previously stated. But they have different capabilities. First, the Tour is not 3G nor does it have WiFi. Browsing is better on the Droid. The screen is defiitely superior on the Droid. There seem to be more apps available for the Droid than for the BB but there's also a lot of crap available for the Droid probably because of the ease of creating apps and the open platform. But Droid doesn't have Chuzzle (my all time favorite game) and BB does.

The Blackberry (any BB) is superior in terms of security -- probably my biggest beef with the Droid is the absent password protection (the pattern is no where near adequate). The Blackberry is not hackable (or rootable). Email on the BB is better and there are other things I like better. I like the keyboard on the Tour much better than on the Droid. Even though the camera on the Droid is a higher resolution, I believe the quality of the photos on the Tour is superior. Of course, the BB has BB Messenger which is only material if a lot of your cronies also use BBs.

So again, what do you use your device for? Right now, I'm inclined to think you just need to do an exchange for another Droid and forget the Blackberry. If you are still considering the BB, you really need to do more research. I would recommend that you start with http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9600-series-discussion-tour/ although you might prefer crackberry.com.

Upvote 0

I may be able to steer you in the right direction. I had a Blackberry Tour before this, in fact, my list of phones for the past few years have been, Sprint HTC Mogul, Blackberry Pearl, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Storm, Blackberry Tour, and now Motorola Droid.

I didnt like the Mogul, mostly because im not a fan of windows mobile. The reason i went from a blackberry to a Droid, after about 2 years with a berry, is because the Blackberry OS seemed to get stale to me. The OS on the Tour is the same as it was on the Pearl only slightly polished. Not bashing Blackberrys though, they are great, i just got tired of the same thing. You may love it.

Before i can recommend something i need to know some stuff.

What are you going to use your phone for the most?
What problems are you having with your droid?
What did you like about the Mogul that made you love it?

Upvote 0
Business user here who went from a BB to the Droid, and I'm never looking back. ActiveSync Email is working like a charm for me on the Droid. Web browsing on the Droid is far superior than that on a BB device. The Droid's screen is spectacular. I'd recommend swapping out for another Droid.

Upvote 0
well just got off the phone with verizon rep.. store people were annoying and didnt wana help with my problems since i ordered online... they wanted to know the firmware and the guy thought i said 2.1 and freaked out on me. after much talking with him and he still didnt understand my problem fully and that i had an extended return/exchange for their holiday shoppers.... theyre sending me a refurbished droid which im going to politely send back i do not want what was someone elses problem and will not settle for any less.. he kept saying i was out of the 30 days but it says it right on my invoice i have an extended return/exchange due to buying inbetween 11/15/09 and 12/14/09 you can return exchange until 1/13/10.. maybe another call will do it when i recieve this so called refurbished one..

Upvote 0
does anyone actually know how to tell if it is a refurbished droid when i get it?

I don't think there's a way to tell a refurbished unit from a new one.

Anyway, I'd be calling Verizon back right away if I were you. Call Verizon's main number and speak to a different customer service representative and tell them you'll fax them a copy of your invoice if you need to. That's not acceptable on their part.

Upvote 0
I don't think there's a way to tell a refurbished unit from a new one.

Anyway, I'd be calling Verizon back right away if I were you. Call Verizon's main number and speak to a different customer service representative and tell them you'll fax them a copy of your invoice if you need to. That's not acceptable on their part.

yeah ill end up calling in tomorrow morning i dont feel like dealing with overnight call centers... those people tend to be a little crankier than normal day shift for some reason.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I got a 'refurb' a few weeks ago (there's no way to tell for sure what the unit's history is) and I couldn't find a single sign that it had ever been touched by human fingers. It runs perfectly and was a newer build number than my old one. It may be worth checking what they send you in any case.

Good luck with whatever phone you decide on!

Upvote 0
does anyone actually know how to tell if it is a refurbished droid when i get it?

depending on who refurbished it. There may be a sticker on the inside with letters and numbers like, BE 1109 or DAC 1209, that isnt there on the other one. those are id stickers of the place that refurbished it, the letters are normally the initials of the person that fixed it or the company that did it. the numbers are the date. ive seen alot a different ones on differnt refurbished phones but they aren't on all of them. I know Verizon will send out phones that were returned because someone didn't like them. they arent labeled but they are tested to make sure they work. it can come in a plain brown box with just the phone or the retail box.

Upvote 0
well i got my "certified like new" droid today. the code is older than the original droid i have. 39/09 and the slider seems a lot looser on that one than mine.. maybe i was just reacting but mine is clicking this one doesnt seem to be... should i call back they seem to not be honoring theyre extended exchange but would be happy to return it... but wouldnt that burn up my upgrade i used or would i get it back?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones