Exchange emailSupport

Last Updated:

1. rcs8104

rcs8104 Member This Topic's Starter

I am thinking about getting an Epic 4g moving from a blackberry Storm. I have noticed at least on Verizon Android phones that a lot of people are having issues with getting exchange to work on their Android phones and are force to use products like K-9 and touchdown to get their emails. I was wondering if anyone on this forum uses exchange with their Epic 4G and what their experience has been like. Please let me know if you use a third party app or does the native app work well out of the box. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Advertisement
  2. LMychajluk

LMychajluk Member

I run my own personal Exchange Server (5.5), and I have no problem with using the OEM email client, incl. SSL. But, I can't use it to connect to Exchange at work (also 5.5). The tech guys say to use touchDown. I think it has something to do with the Policies that they apply to connected devices.

3. Tyrahn

Tyrahn Well-Known Member

I use mine to connect to my work exchange account and it works great. The email app for exchange support is not quite as nice as the gmail app, but then again outlook is not nearly as nice as gmail.

Clark

4. dest

dest Member

If email reliability is important to you, I'd stick with the Blackberry. This is coming from a former blackberry to Evo, and now Epic user.

5. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member

I use Touchdown with our Exchange server. Flawless. Never a problem.

6. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

I'm using the stock Android client on my companies exchange server (2003). It works OK for the most part. Not as well as I would like it to.

Holy Cow! You guys are still running on 5.5?! Man, and I thought we were behind on 2003!

-SF

7. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Have no issues with exchange mail or contacts and calendar syncing using the stock app.

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Well-Known Member

This is the same change I made from Storm to Epic and it works great. Our Exchange Server is 2007. No Apps for me just the onboard client.

I have gone from to BB's to 2 Android phones now. Bye Bye RIM

9. LMychajluk

LMychajluk Member

Question for you: If your Org uses a policy that requires a PIN, how does that affect your device? Also, does TD integrate into the existing Inbox, or do you get a seperate Inbox for your Exchange mail?

@Sly - now that I think about it, it may be 2003 that I'm running... I have 2010 (SBS) sitting at home, but I have to fugure out a way to do an in-place upgrade (or virtualize my environment). It seems SBS won't allow an in-place upgrade.

10. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

don't know about PINs but unfortunately separate email programs do not integrate into an inbox of any sort. I'm doing stock email for exchange and K9 for everything else. Sucks, but it's the way it is until somebody gets email right for all types of accounts: regular webmail, gmail and exchange. It is a non-existent solution on android, and it's one thing I miss with webOS.