Exchange Sync Bug or Working as Expected

Last Updated:

1. ergonzalez

ergonzalez Member This Topic's Starter

When I set my HTC Hero to sync with exchange "As Items Arrive", the phone is constantly synching and therefore my battery drains. Even when I turn off the phone, the phone uis still awake since it is constantly checking/sync-ing with exchange. I was under the impression that by selecting this type of sync, the items would be "pushed" to the device rather than the device constantly checking if there are new messages, contacts, or calendar eventsto sync. Is this expceted behaviour, or is there some other tweak I need to do?

By the way, I just updatedmy phone yesterdey to the latest firmware, and the issue still persist.

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

as items arrive means realtime push and the phone "listens" to a heartbeat from the exchange server. when that heartbeat contains info to tell the phone it has email, the phone then initiates sync. this does use a tiny amount of battery since it is listening to a data stream, however you should NOT experience any major battery drain..

i use exchange on the hero and it works perfectly fine "as items arrive". its possible you need a certificate installed on your device in order to use yoru company's service. they may also need to aloow async access to your email so id check with your IT group...

3. ergonzalez

ergonzalez Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the response. Clears out some questions.