• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchange Sync error

nkundalia

Lurker
Apr 14, 2010
Hi,

I've been having an Exchange sync error but don't how to find more dettails of the actual error, was working fine until yesterday and am told nothing has changwed on the serverside.

the error I get is "Sync protocol error"

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

N

Found a less drastic method to fix/workaround the sync bug at

Desire stops syncing with Exchange - HTCforums.com

If you just go to the credentials screen and hit 'Save' it fixes it too.

*Needs* to be fixed properly by HTC though...

-Craig

This work around doesn't work for me. When I go to Settings > Accounts & Sync > Exchange ActiveSync and do sync now, it shows exclamation mark besides the sync icon.
Anyone having similar issues?

Upvote 0
I too am having this issue. I have a Droid Incredible. The issue was occurring on 2.1. Unfortunately since my upgrade to 2.2 the issue still occurs at what appears a greater frequency. While contacts and calendar will continue to sync without issue, mail will no longer display new inbox items and displays the error "Sync protocol error" with the sync icon and an exclamation mark preceding the error.

The only workaround I have found to work is to delete the mail account from my Incredible and re-add it which is tedious at best and only helps for a day or so before it occurs again.

I too will be switching off this phone as soon as possible because my business exchange mail is too important to me to have to continually deal with this headache. My plan is to wait this headache out until January when Verizon will hopefully have the iPhone. Hopefully HTC / Android comes up with a fix before then or my switch to Android will be doomed.

Upvote 0
I now haven't got any problems but.....
A few months ago I installed a task-killer. I thought it would be good to have one because of draining my memory. But from that point I also noticed that my Exchange mail didn't sync anymore.

So.... take a look at programs running. It must be a problem with that.

p.s. I'm syncing with exchange 2007 and my collegue syncs with exchange 2010.
Both without problems.

Upvote 0
I too have this problem. In fact I had it when I had an untouched, unrooted Android 2.1 Desire.

My phone is now a rooted Froyo flavour, and the problem still persists.

I also have other issues, for example sometimes emails that I can see in Outlook or OWA do not appear on the phone, then mysteriously, after working fine for weeks on end, suddenly my email stops syncing, but calendar and contacts sync fine.

The only solution I've yet to find for this is to remove and recreate the EAS account, which frankly is a bind, since I often end up with duplicated calendar events.

I run my own Exchange server (2003), and used my old E71 with it, and had very few issues.

This is driving me mad, and HTC need to fix it.

Since posting, I've deleted and re-created my EAS account, and changed the settings so that when conflict resolution is carried out, items are kept on the phone. It synced nicely, including some items that failed to sync before, so I guess only time will tell now.

I'll wait and see....

Upvote 0
I too have this problem. In fact I had it when I had an untouched, unrooted Android 2.1 Desire.

My phone is now a rooted Froyo flavour, and the problem still persists.

I also have other issues, for example sometimes emails that I can see in Outlook or OWA do not appear on the phone, then mysteriously, after working fine for weeks on end, suddenly my email stops syncing, but calendar and contacts sync fine.

The only solution I've yet to find for this is to remove and recreate the EAS account, which frankly is a bind, since I often end up with duplicated calendar events.

I run my own Exchange server (2003), and used my old E71 with it, and had very few issues.

This is driving me mad, and HTC need to fix it.

Since posting, I've deleted and re-created my EAS account, and changed the settings so that when conflict resolution is carried out, items are kept on the phone. It synced nicely, including some items that failed to sync before, so I guess only time will tell now.

I'll wait and see....
Any more info on this issue. I just got an HTC Inspire 2.2, and same thing with activesync account, mail only.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones