Support Exchanging my Epic 4G... What of my apps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by omgitsspooky, Oct 10, 2010.

1. omgitsspooky

omgitsspooky Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2010
    I know that paid apps can be re-downloaded in the market when you get your new exchange. However, what about the free apps? Will they still be under my downloads list?

Advertisement

2. Red_Cheeks

Red_Cheeks Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    They're free .... just download them again. Its called common sense jeez

3. omgitsspooky

Oct 8, 2010
    yeah, but if you have a lot of apps, you're gonna forget which apps you downloaded. by the way, learn your "their, there and they're" =)

4. Red_Cheeks

Red_Cheeks Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    better? Anyways, no they wont be there. You have to download them again.

5. Android XTC

Aug 26, 2010
    Feature Motion Picture Production
    Downers Grove, IL.
    The free apps will not re appear on your phone. Write them down so you remember what free apps you had. Once you have your new phone go back to the market and reload them from your list.

6. omgitsspooky

Oct 8, 2010
    got it. thanks guys.

7. jerbeck24

jerbeck24 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Michigan
    You could also download and register for AppBrain. Then you can just pull up your list on your computer and download them again on your new phone.

8. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Could you be more of an ass?
    Try downloading OnTheFly Backup. Will backup all of your apps to your SD card. Get the new phone, install the OnTheFly program and restore all your apps.

RussoSerb likes this.
  9. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Male
    Electrical Engineer working in healthcare
    San Francisco, CA
    The free file manager Astro also has a tool that does App back ups to SD card.

10. dbpaddler

actually, so does the app "File Manager". Decided to check it when I read your post.

11. vader4633

vader4633 Member

Aug 6, 2010
    App brain is the best bet

12. dbpaddler

nothing against app brain, but what's more convenient than having them on your sd card?

13. FreakyLocz14

Jul 13, 2010
    Apps you paid for will be in the Android Market for you to re-download at no charge. Free ones you will have to search for and download all over again. But the most important part is you don't have to buy paid apps all over again.

14. dbpaddler

Did you not read the posts above about two file managers that backup your apps to your sd card and app brain that keeps a list of your apps online?

15. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    The only issue about having the free apps backed up to the Sd card, and then restored, as stated above, is that the Android market is not aware of the restore, and thus you will not have updates notifications.

What I do is I do use Astro File manager to quickly reinstall my free apps, and then slowly over time I re-download the apps from Android market, which over-rides the existing apps, so Android market will then track them and notify me of future updates.

16. dbpaddler

Are you sure about that? I remember using Titanium Backup on my Evo and Moment to restore apps and not missing a beat in the market. It's been awhile, but that's my recollection.

17. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    You may be correct about Titanium backup, I have not used it yet. My Evo and Epic were just rooted this weekend so have not been able to use it yet.

18. taylormah

taylormah Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I read somewhere this is true about Appbrain too. Someone posted that restoring through appbrain will not load the apps in market and thus no update notifications?? Has anyone tried?