Existing 4gb SD?

Last Updated:

1. naths

naths Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hi to everyone...
    Right im in the UK and a android newbie after making the jump from the iphone and the complete iphone 4 cock up!!!...iv just got my desire sim free and it came with a 4gb micro SD,the question iv got is i want to replace it with a 16gb card..is it just a case of taking the 4gb out and putting the 16gb in?or does the 4gb have anything vital on it,i havnt taken any photos or anything as i only got the phone yesterday....also im a macbook pro user so how on earth do i transfer music,photos, and books to the HTC...oh and so far this phone and android are streets ahead of the iphone,,,never thought id say it..but in my opinion it is..thanks in advance:)

Advertisement
  2. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

I took my 4 gig card out and simply copied all that the files (that would copy) onto the replacement card, I think I read somewhere that the Desire will automatically replace any other needed files. It worked anyhow. :)

3. naths

naths Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thing is how on earth do i copy them???...i know im being stupid....but im using a mac..so how do i copy the card??..yet alone music,photos...etc?:(

4. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

A MAC, does it work the same as with a PC? I plug my USB cable in and get an options for:-

• Charge only
    • Disk drive
    • Etc
    • Etc
    Choose disk drive and then that 'should' let you see the SD card as a removable drive, just copy the files to a folder on your desktop. Once that's done, shut down your phone, insert new card, once booted up, select 'disk drive' again and copy over the files.

If as you say you don't have any files of importance on the 4 gig card then don't bother messing around. Shut down your phone, insert the new one. There's a 'format card' option somewhere within the settings.

5. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

You could also transfer the files using EStrong File Explorer. It will allow you to connect to the LAN and transfer over WiFi if you don't have the cable handy to do the above method.

UKseagull likes this.
  6. balders

balders Well-Known Member

just plug it in mouth as a disk image and it appears on your desktop.

I use IsyncR for syncing iTunes playlists and it works very well.

Your Mail, Contacts and calendar will all sync with google and so with your phone. So you don't need to keep any contacts on your sim or phone and they are always backed up.

Dropbox is good for syncing files and stuff.

Think Doubletwist can sync photos, it does iTunes as well but its a big buggy.

My desire has worked flawlessly with my Mac.