"exit" strategy - Now that the N1 has become history, I would appreciate insights on "what next".

Last Updated:

1. gauvins

gauvins Member This Topic's Starter

The N1 was by far the best phone for me (I need unlocked. I want removable batteries; I have zero patience for carrier-specific software and because I juggle several SIMs, I am not considering Apple's G4.) I am not an extremely sophisticated user (i.e. I have not rooted my phone, nor do I wish to do so.) yet I know my way around these beasts.

So.... what should I plan to do if my N1 is lost/stolen/damaged beyond repair?

1) what hardware strategy is best? A replacement N1? A Desire? Another device (i am Canadian. I prefer to purchase a new unlocked phone at unsubsidized prices and keep my legacy, bring your own device, plan).

Related to this, can we root any/most Android devices and reinstall a stock Android OS?

I have two docks (car and desk). Are they compatible with another device (I would hope that the Desire has the same connectors and that HTC will seize the occasion to stick to it and push this form factor into the next generation of Android devices).

2) How to migrate? (long gone are the days of simple contacts/calendar syncs...) Are apps account-specific? (i.e. If I purchase another Android device configured to my gmail account, can I redownload?) What is the most reasonable approach to backup/restore?

--

Let's hope that I will be lucky and can wait for the next generation -- I will be an avid reader of feedbacks on new devices that will adhere to the N1 concept (unlocked, stock Android).

Thanks for an excellent forum.

St

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

3. Ryjabo

Ryjabo Well-Known Member

4. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

apps are account specific.. which is why when you log in on the new phones, you can just automatically download the ones you paid for.

as far as docks. I doubt they would keep the same form.. otherwise.. many people wouldn't see why they would buy a new one if it looks the same. Have you ever seen 2 phones by HTC that look exactly alike to one another? these guys love designing new phones.

5. outoffocus

outoffocus Well-Known Member

in the next 24 months there will be so many amazing android offerings it'll make us all dizzy..

6. dvandam

dvandam Well-Known Member

Part of my getting the N1 was that I wasn't tied to a contract. Also, with all the networks unveiling their LTE/HSPA+/4G plans in the coming months, I didn't want to get a phone and be tied in a contract only to have it in a few months be unable to take advantage of the advanced network. I was wary of the EVO because I don't trust the first version of anything that takes advantage of a new technology (not to mention I doubt my area will get 4G anytime soon yet I'll still have to pay for it.) My hope is that by the time my N1 becomes really dated, there will be better phones with a good (or at least competent) next-gen network on all the providers. And given how much the companies raised their ETFs, I think I made a good decision. I also plan on rooting and loading a custom rom once my warranty expires. The voiding of my warranty is the only thing that is holding me back from doing so now.

7. hasschu

hasschu New Member

The relatively high processor speed and the expandable microSD card should keep N1 in the game for about 3 years. After that you will be salivating for the 2 Gig Proc. and 160 Gig cards. The Android system itself will be the main determinant of success or lack of it over the next ten years. The Chinese will continue to ensure progress is made on the hardware front which is good but the downside is it makes older smart phones old before their time. Progress is unstoppable.

8. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

im staying put for some time... earliest i can see my self moving to something else is when this 2gz beast comes in november or december. until then im good. My nex does everything i need to do and well

9. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

My next phone will definitely be a Google experience phone with Vanilla Android..unlock and unbranded. One feature I hope it'll have is a hot swapable SD card slot and definitely more RAM. I'm not sure if I really want a 1.5Ghz or 2Ghz snapdragon or whatever processor with the current rate of battery advancement. I don't see the point for double capcity of power when we'll have the same battery technology that'll basically drain the battery twice as fast.

For being 7 months old, the Nexus One is still one of the best Andriod phones 'in the market' still. Only exit strategy for me is if I lose the N1 or it dies out on me after my warranty is up. Otherwise, I'll be keeping my baby for as long as possible...I don't think another phone will woo me like the N1 did for a very long time, lol.

10. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

this

11. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

My list in order to switch phones:
    1. Better screen.
    2. Big leap in processor (2x).
    3. A GPU.
    4. Improve battery technology.
    5. Vanilla Android (hoping gingerbread helps this out).

I believe that battery technology is the biggest player in the improvement in smartphones. Every battery right now is an anchor dragging behind the phone. I will consider switching phones when my demands have been met.

12. 0sync0

0sync0 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same situation. I assume the best option is to pick a phone you like and then pay to get out of the contract.

13. mkrmec

mkrmec Well-Known Member

NO way I'm replacing my N1 .. no other phone comes close to the openness of this Google phone.

In the future when I need to replace it I'll go with a phone very similar. Open, developer friendly, etc.

14. cbranmusic

cbranmusic New Member

15. mkrmec

mkrmec Well-Known Member

the first phones with 3.0 gingerbread.. then I'll consider replacing my N1 but under strict rules...

1. Cyanogen supported :D
    2. Easy to root and unlock
    3. VANILLA android.. no crapware

16. RogerPodacter

RogerPodacter Well-Known Member

No way I'm replacing my nexus for a while yet either. It will remain future proof for a while still. It is still what all the ROM developers are concentrating on. It should keep getting Google updates first. And It's the most open and hackable phone out there still. If I lost my nexus I'm not sure what I'd do, I possibly would consider getting another nexus somehow. Not sure.

17. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

your nexus will be the first with ginger