• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Expecting too much from a phone?

Yeah, a lot of it is perspective.

I came to the Eris from an iPhone 3G and the eris feels perfectly fine to me. Browser is slower, but Apple kinda has the mobile browser thing on lockdown, theirs is so optimized.

I think part of it too is the trend I've kinda seen going on in which software optimization has taken a back seat to hardware. Instead of "how snappy can we get this to run", some devs are just saying "it'll run awesome when the snapdragon comes out so it's okay" lol. (HTC Phone app, i'm looking at you.)

To me, iPhone OS shows the results of good software optimization and polish.

Android is more open to change, to potential, but conversely lacks a bit of the polish and optimization.

Definitely feels more like a tool where the iPhone seems to abstract its "computer-ness" away and be a magic box.

Different paradigms, different people, different preferences.

As for expecting too much (wow, went off on a tangent there) another part may simply be lack of knowledge of the product they're buying. It's an Eris, not the HTC Desire, it's the same cpu as a G1. Sense is amazing and all but you're buying outdated hardware so your expectations of performance should match accordingly. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't bother to research (which is sad in and of itself, to be throwing money around without knowing exactly what it's going to) so I see this happen frequently.

edit: typed that whole thing on my phone. tapatalk ftw

Upvote 0
My expectations are simply that the phone (or any other item for trhat matter) do what it's supposed to do and do it well.

So I expect the cell phone to be first and foremost a good phone. Signal strength, call quality, and the such must be excellent. (ERIS does well in this department).

Secondarily are all the other items. Browser, SMS, email, should at least peform reasonably well. I expect that the Browser will work fairly fast (I know it is highly dependent on 3G signal level. But, when in full 3G I expect it be very fast.

Same goes for the rest of the items.

I do not expect a cell phone to lock up, crash, etc at any time. Period. This is the main reason a retired my BB Storm and switched to the ERIS. The BB had simply become unreliable.

So I don't think we are expecting too much. I for one am only expecting was had been promised and advertised.

BTW. I feel this way about every item I purchase.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones