Experia x10 dialer fails after 1.6 upgradeSupport

Last Updated:

1. mike+++

mike+++ New Member This Topic's Starter

I have had an x10 on Orange for around 6 months and love it. Great camera and video playback. No problems using the phone until.... had a text asking to upgrade to 1.6. I usually do as I am told - so dutifully updated. I then found that the dialer started to lock in call if I needed to use the draw out keypad to select menu items. Impacts - I can't access voice mails or customer service or any automated switchboard. Orange talked me though some potential fixes - without success. Sent me a new phone today also running 1.6. No SD card installed - just the SIM - same fault. So now lining up another handset. Am I really the only one having this problem guys? :(

Advertisement
  2. powerkiter

powerkiter Well-Known Member

OK so the X10 has only ever had 1.6 and what you describe sounds like the proximity sensor on the phone that kills the screen when you hold the phone to your ear so you dont press any buttons during the call.

Simply hold the phone away from your ear for a few seconds or hit the home hard key to reactivate.

3. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

I heard about this sensor, but it doesn't seem to work on my phone, or the Xperia X10 I had before my current one :confused:

4. mike+++

Thanks for the quick reply.I didn't note the problem before the upgrade. Orange told me today the 1.6 was a new release. I guess it was a point release before we get the big 2.1 release.

It failed today when using the phone laying on the desk and I have never had the problem before. If I press the home key hard as suggested I get to chose dialer/browser/settings as options.

5. irTim

irTim Member

He means just press it once (its called a hard key as its a physical button, not a touch screen one). If you hold it, it will bring you up a list of recent applications.

6. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

you can test the proximity sensor in the engineer menu

access from the lock screen - do not 'swipe to unlock' - instead press this sequence of keys

"menu" - "back" - "back" - "menu" - "back" - "menu" - "menu" - "back"

Select service tests and then scroll down to proximity switch

should double beep when any object gets within about an inch from the screen, just to the right of the main earpiece, above the sony ericsson logo

:D

7. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

usually when the screen is locked during a call you have to double tap the screen to unlock it

try that and let us know

(this is way mine works anyway)

8. mike+++

Thanks. Double tap isn't an option the screen is completely locked and the hard keys just give menus. Have used these to select the key pad which sometime loads but still fails to select any numbers from the pad. The only way to hang up is to use the top power key. thanks for proximity sensor check. Ran this test and it failed. This the third handset now in about 4 days. All have the same fault. The only common factor to all three handsets is the orange SIM. Which worked for 6 months before the software upgrade. Ho hum. Mike

9. Mazzmn

Mazzmn New Member

Thanks, this answer is what I needed to determine that the proximity sensor was not working...but...it was not working because I have a cheap case on the phone....after I take the case off, then the proximity sensor works right and I can drag up the keypad while in a call....sweet, thanks again Anybody want to buy a case? :D

10. tannenelson

tannenelson New Member

i had a mirrored screen protecter and had dialer problem,took off and works fine,anyone want a screen protecter?