Experience with Unrevoked 3 on Mac

Last Updated:

1. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Just in case this saves anyone else some stress.

I just rooted my stock OTA 2.2 Desire using Unrevoked 3 on a Mac. On my first attempt I literally plugged in and pressed OK: the process involved many reboots, much waiting around, and if a boot went as far as asking for my SIM PIN I entered it. At the end of which it said "Waiting for root... (safe to restart if this doesn't work)". After a while my phone came up with a "force close" or "wait" message for "system". Thinking it might be safer to wait, I selected the latter. And waited....

After a long while of looking at a black screen and nothing changing I decided that restarting might be a good idea. And this is where it became stressful: the phone didn't respond to the power button, power + volume,... The only sign of life was that if I held the home button it told me that there were no recent apps (though that did stop me thinking "bricked"). Eventually I forced a restart by pressing power+volume down+trackpad button. Then when it came back Unrevoked informed me that it had failed to get root, and that "this sometimes happens. Restart and try again".

Reassured by the fact that my phone was still alive (!), I did try again. Before doing so I disabled interactions that would normally follow a boot (WidgetLocker and SIM PIN), and following a hint on the Unrevoked webpage I put the phone into disk mode when I connected.

This time was a completely different story: everything was fast, there seemed to be fewer boots, and a couple of minutes later the phone was up, running and rooted. The mac did complain after the first boot that I'd uncleanly ejected a disk ;), but that was to be expected.

So, apologies for the long post. I don't know whether the initial worrying experience was connected with being in charge only mode for the initial connection, or the various locks and PINs getting in the way of something, or just plain bad luck. But no harm was done and the second attempt was very painless. So I just wanted to tell anyone else doing this not to panic even if things do seem to be going very badly wrong, and maybe to try the "connect in disk mode" suggestion if rooting from a mac.

Advertisement
  2. Panama

Panama Active Member

I followed the instructions to the letter on the mac and it worked faultlessly first time - Very Happy :)

3. mcryan85

mcryan85 Member

I believe i have rooted my phone i have superuser permissions... When i go to open it the app it is just a black screen that says superuser permissions. I have read something about hboot drivers i did not do anything before downloading the unrevoked recovery reflash tool. I have a Mac if that helps thank you!!!!

4. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Mac/Linux users don't need the HBOOT drivers :)

And from the sounds of it, you are rooted :D

5. Hadron

Superuser permissions does just show a black screen until you run an app that needs it - it's listing the apps that have these permissions, and so far there aren't any. This is normal.

If you want to test, just install something that needs root (Titanium Backup for example) and try to run it. Superuser permissions should then pop up and tell you that an app wants root access, you give it the OK, and the app runs - if that all works, then you're rooted.

6. mcryan85

mcryan85 Member

Thanks for the help guys! Now that im Rooted what do i do? lol jk! I'm sure i can figure it from here on out....

7. fernando.luan

fernando.luan New Member

Hi guys,
    i did root my phone running original froyo from OTA using unrevoked3...
    Can i flash custom rom after that... i want to try MIUI but not sure if is ok now to do so!?

thanks a lot

8. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Get shootme from the market and start taking screen shots :)

9. Hadron

Should be. I just load the ROM zip file onto my SD card, boot the phone into recovery, and flash from there. Some people use an app called ROM Manager, but it's not necessary.

Do a nandroid backup before flashing anything. And I expect you may need to wipe before flashing MIUI, so do a titanium backup of your data and apps as well, so that you can restore afterwards. Have a good browse through this forum until you're happy you know what you are doing - if you look at one of danfrance's posts he has a link to an FAQ thread in his sig.