Experiences of rooting

Last Updated:

1. Old_greg

Old_greg Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on here, please redirect me if it's the case.

I've done a fair bit of reading about rooting my phone (GT-i5700 running 2.1) as it seems that this is the only way to get rid of all the sh*te that it comes with out the box. As a complete novice to this sort of thing I am a little apprehensive to get involved!

I was just wondering if other such new guys/girls have had a go and how did they find it? Pretty straight forward?

Cheers!

Advertisement
  2. AfzalivE

AfzalivE Active Member

whatever you do, there is a very less chance that you'll ever brick your Spica.

just use Odin + latest/Jh6/JH1 firmware

install (CONFIRM WHICH CHECKBOXES TO CHECK IN ODIN)

then use LK2.08 for original fws and there you have it...a rooted spica.

but that doesn't get rid of the shit that samsung has installed. Cook a custom Samdroid rom from the kitchen and THEN you will have a spica open to whatever you wanna do :)

3. SuperFred

SuperFred Active Member

It is a bit scary but don't worry, if you follow Beerkan's guide to the letter, you'll be fine!

4. Old_greg

Old_greg Member This Topic's Starter

Balls have grown a bit, have downloaded the stuff I need and now it's on my desktop just watching me.

5. SuperFred

SuperFred Active Member

Good! Now wait for the right time, you'll probably need 30-40 minutes for the guide but allow something like 1 hour 1.5 hours for the first time ;)
    Don't panic if something "goes wrong", most of the time just try again by unplugging/rebooting your phone, try different USB ports... that said NEVER do it while odin is actually doing something useful... that is when there's a progress bar...

Then the other "sticking" point I've found is that once rooted/Kitchen install, you need to wipe your cache if you get stuck on an infinite booting loop...