• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Experiencing GPS issues on the HTC EVO 4G LTE

I have used the gps feature probably 3 times so far... My gf likes to try and use her Samsung stratosphere and it fails miserably every time... She always asks for the evo to save the day.. Needless to say my gps experience has been very good. The phone does tend to get a little warm while using gps... But this is to be expected.. When I go into Google maps I am locked on almost as soon as I tap it... Interestingly enough tho... My weather clock widget doesn't show the current location and only "current location"... Oh well.

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
Now I’ve had this phone for more than 3 weeks (with further experience), I have to correct my previous post: the GPS signal loss happens randomly! Has nothing to do with location; profile; cell tower or mobile network etc. when it happens, zero satellite is found and it stays that way!
And I discovered that the ONLY way to get it back (other than reboot the phone) is to manually turn off GPS at setting/location, and then check GPS on again. The signal will be back right away! It feels like something randomly turned off GPS in background and not showing.
So for navigation, I put the GPS onoff widget on home screen to handle this GPS signal lost problem quickly (rather than rebooting the phone! I may miss the exit after the reboot lol).
The main reason I chose this phone over Iphone is the GPS navi and big screen, so I hope HTC/Google can work this problem out ASAP!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yes, you have detailed the exact experience I am having with one caveat, when in NAV or just Maps it will go into Searching for Satellites mode and will never find one. I can exit out of the app and immediately re-launch the app or preset directions and the phone will almost always lock right back into the satellites. Then after 5-15 minutes more it will lose contact again.

At this point I am going to have to call in support on the phone but it is so damn frustrating to have to do that. I don't have the insurance through Sprint so when I went to the Sprint store with this issue they said it would be $35 to get it serviced. Isn't the damn thing under warranty? I have only had it for two months or less.
J We are on the same boat; I

Upvote 0
I've had a couple of issues. The first has happened twice, the screen stays blank but the voice commands work. The second issue is more frequent, it refuses to locate me. I let it go on our trip to Minnesota and it searched for over two hours before I restarted the phone to get it to work.
I have had issues with the Google Nav app as well. One time it had me get off the freeway, go two miles East and then take a tollway 2 miles West right back to the exact same intersection.

Upvote 0
So, I received a replacement phone. I set it up and had an opportunity for a trip that was at least two hours of driving one way. The new phone worked perfectly for about 90 minutes before it went into Searching for Satellites mode. This time though, unlike the old phone it recovered within a few moments and was fine. Then it happened a few more times. Each time it has recovered within a minute or two. Then it started getting more frequent. I am running Battery Widget [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hubalek.android.reborn.beta] and it gives a nice status for battery temp. Battery temp was around 110F when the Searching for started getting bad. I changed the airflow on one of my AC vents so it was blowing right on the phone. The temp dropped about 5 degrees and the Searching For stopped occurring. Heat seems to be the issue with the flakiness of the GPS. When it's cool it works fine, when over 107F it starts acting up. I wish I had the old phone to test my hypothesis but I think it is probably accurate.

Upvote 0
So, I received a replacement phone. I set it up and had an opportunity for a trip that was at least two hours of driving one way. The new phone worked perfectly for about 90 minutes before it went into Searching for Satellites mode. This time though, unlike the old phone it recovered within a few moments and was fine. Then it happened a few more times. Each time it has recovered within a minute or two. Then it started getting more frequent. I am running Battery Widget [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hubalek.android.reborn.beta] and it gives a nice status for battery temp. Battery temp was around 110F when the Searching for started getting bad. I changed the airflow on one of my AC vents so it was blowing right on the phone. The temp dropped about 5 degrees and the Searching For stopped occurring. Heat seems to be the issue with the flakiness of the GPS. When it's cool it works fine, when over 107F it starts acting up. I wish I had the old phone to test my hypothesis but I think it is probably accurate.

Temperature has no correlation for when it happened to me. For the most part, my GPS has been working ok. When it's in the car dock, it gets really hot, but I haven't had the GPS fail with the Maps application while in the car dock.

I've noticed this though: if you are in the Maps app with a good GPS connection, and you press home, then let the phone go into standby (either by itself or powering it down), then later you go back into Maps, there's a high likelihood that the GPS will be stuck searching forever. If that happens, if you use the back button to exit Maps, then go back in, it will lock on fast and be fine.

I think this is a bug with the Maps application and may not be related to the issue at hand, but it's worth mentioning. Also, I think a recent version of Maps addressed the problem, as I haven't seen this behavior in a while now.

Upvote 0
The temperature may have an effect on the GPS unit (overheating is never good for electronics), but I know for a fact that in my case it wasn't the issue. I live in San Francisco, with an all-year climate of 60-75F, and the GPS wouldn't work at all after 2 weeks - it got gradually worse until it stopped altogether. The replacement unit with about a month of usage so far has been perfect. Not a single break in GPS reception.

Upvote 0
I come from a different perspective in that I use my GPS mainly for being on the golf course to see how many yards I am away from the pin.

Same issues as a lot of users in this thread. It often does not lock in a signal when I first start or it will show as if I am locking a signal but I will be way off (100-200 yards) as if it is only using cell tower triangulation to figure my distance.

I usually have to reboot my phone for it to start working properly. Other times I have to turn off GPS and then turn it back on and it starts working properly then as well. But then a few holes later, no GPS lock.

It is frustrating to be on the golf course and for it to stop working.

This golf yardage app I use has always worked and never gave me any issues when I used it on my EVO 4G. So it's definitely not software related. It is something with this chip or possibly firmware.

Upvote 0
Ok my GPS problem is solved (hopefully for the next 2 yearsJ. The solution was: get a replacement phone form Sprint. I was able to add insurance so I can get replacement free. Otherwise you have to pay $35 if your phone is 14+days old, LOL.
So the conclusion is: if you GPS signal gets lost randomly and often, and can’t be resolved by resetting the phone, you need a replacement. It’s indeed hardware issue even though I thought it was software glitch. Now I’ve tested GPS extensively on my new phone for 9 days and never a single GPS signal drop. This phone is perfect for me now J

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones