• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Explain permissions

An antivirus app has to communicate with "home" all the time, to find out if there are any new virus definitions. (Viruses don't come with labels that say "this app is a virus", they're recognized by certain patterns in their data.) New viruses come along all the time, so you need new virus definition files all the time. An anti-virus program is only as good as the last data file it downloaded.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I understand needing to keep the virus definitions up to date but I didn't think the app would do that by making phone calls, text messages and emails without your knowledge. Also editing your contacts and calendar one even wanted to create a log of my phone calls. I don't see what these things have to do with scanning for viruses and allowing me to remove them.

Upvote 0
You have to look at permissions in an abstract way. If the dev explained them to you you'd be like "d'oh right i understand".
I think theres a sticky thread somewhere about permissions but an example i use is that an app needs to have access to your calls so that it knows when you get a call and shuts itself up instead of interrupting your call lol :)

Upvote 0
Thanks I will check that out. I guess one option would be to download the app and let it check the system out the disable it until I feel the need to run it again. I have several apps that I rarely use disabled to save system resources but still have the ability to use them when needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones