Explain Use Packet Data in plain English??Support

Last Updated: 2011-03-18 22:40:06
  1. wunay

wunay Well-Known Member

Had my Galaxy S for some ten days now. It came with v2.1 and when I tried to update to v2.2 even though Kies was offering to update - it failed completely, this was using an XP PC with Kies v1.5. I subsequently installed Kies V2.0 onto my Win 7 PC and tried again - it failed yet again. I took the Galaxy S back to the retailer who indicated that "Use Packet data" was not in operation. He ticked the option for "Use Packet Data" and I then was able to upgrade to V2.2 without problem. I had been able to access the internet previously through wifi to my home network as well as out on the road.
    In respect of the "Use Packet Data" I was not aware of its existence and even now I still cannot get my head around as to its use or need.
    Can someone explain in plain English as to "Use Packet data"??

Advertisement
  2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Turn on 3G. That's what it means.
  3. wunay

wunay Well-Known Member

Thanks snapper.fishes
    I am an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER.
    Two questions
    !) Would that have prevented the download of v2.2.1 via USB from my PC if the Packet data was not checked?
    2) Do I need to have this checked to connect to the internet via the phone?
  4. wunay

wunay Well-Known Member

Anyone?
  5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

You will need to have it checked in order to access mobile internet and not wifi. As for updating to 2.2.1. it shouldn't make a difference (unless if you are expecting an OTA update). But some users have reported that they couldn't flash their phone unless if it is ticked.... so give it a try if your can't update.
  6. pfinch121

pfinch121 New Member

Hi..please can you help...I can connect with my wifi...I also have paid for 30 hours of internet on AIS GSM network in Thailand...Its says registered, but I have no idea how to connect it to internet when I am out and about..thanks if you can help me
  7. GalaxyTDM

GalaxyTDM Well-Known Member

Have you made sure 3G (packet data) is switched on?
  8. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

Maybe you would need APN settings from your service provider. Ask them about the settings.
  9. GalaxyTDM

GalaxyTDM Well-Known Member

What firmware do you have?
    If network data is turned on all you have to do is open the web browser.