• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Explain what is so great about google voice and why I should use it

Just as new parent's should not be allowed to (even conceive) leave the hospital with their new baby until they pass the "how to be the perfect parent test". Just as that same newborn cannot go out the door and into public until it passes the "how to be an upstanding citizen and social graces test".
Seriously now, no one can try anything new or get something they have not had time to understand fully beforehand? Wow. I bet you knew how to ride your bike before you got it though, and never fell off 'cause you read the manual.
I don't use GV, I haven't requested a GV number, I have read about it and don't see a use for it for me. So, I have nothing to contribute to this thread (like others) but am really disappointed at the "help" that has been offered. Not everyone was born knowing how to use every feature of Google or Android and those that were could offer some guidance or just leave it alone. I just don't understand where the hostility comes from. It's a forum thing, maybe I shouldn't use forums as I clearly did not pass the "how to be a jerk while hiding behind your keyboard test".

Sometimes I just like to write in a preposterous manner for no other reason but because I have a feather up my butt to do so. Creative writing exercises I suppose.

I really hope no one took to much offense at my post because it was really not directed at anyone in particular in this thread or other wise. It was only written in such a manner to be of some sort of dark humor. I try to be as helpful as possible and thats why even in my post dripping with sarcasm I offered up a lot of info regarding Google Voice. Also there was this little bit that I had high hopes for, but clearly it failed:

I also understand some people are just not inclined to understand such things, so please don't take any offense to what I just posted above. I honestly don't take any offense to your silly sunglasses, and funny pants.
Anyways I feel slightly wronged by your post so I feel that I must respond.

You have unfairly accused me of desiring people have some sort of a priori knowledge of Google Voice. Never did I state such a thing or even imply that. No my good sir, I was only attempting to shed some light on a dark and scary trend that keeps reappearing in our modern society. What is this trend? Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury I present to you "LAZINESS". Yes all across the globe indolence is wrapping it's icy fingers around the brains of our neighbors, coworks and children.

How sad is a society that finds it easier to type "lulz tell me whyz I shld do dis and howzers, lulz l8rz" then to actually sit down and digest all the information provided? Why is it so difficult to search? The ignorance has even spread into the media, using Google Voice as an example, they claim left and right that Google Voice is a VOIP service that some how magically lets you bypass your carrier all together. It's clearly stated by Google this is not true, 30 seconds of research would explain that.

You yourself good sir admitted you had those capabilities when you said that you READ about it and you DECIDED it was of no use to you. I believe in the power of forums to solve problems and offer guidance in times of frustration. However I don't believe that forms should be here to coddle people who can not think or act on their own.

Also how truly absurd of you to think that infants would possess the mental facilities needed to pass some sort of test; let alone some test on the qualities of good citizens and socialites. Truly you sir need help.

Upvote 0
Personally (and yes I am an asshole)....

Clementine, I was 'on your side' until I read the above. :)

He spelled it out for you.. He told you upfront...

By the way, for being such a 'a-hole' he did follow it up with some good information on GV.

While I am at it, I should share one of the things I really like about GV.

Even if you don't use the number you get from GV, you can FORWARD your calls to the GV number, and then your VOICEMAIL becomes a function of Google Voice.. Which means, as was mentioned earlier, you get an email prompt when a voicemail comes in, and you can choose to receive a transcription of the voicemail. Great feature.. I never have to 'call' my verizon voicemail number any more .. that's a great convenience...

All in fun,
FC

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones