Ext partitions

Last Updated:

1. ccsoccer03

ccsoccer03 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am aware that there are ext 2, 3 and even 4. My question is... Are all compatible with the apps2sd equally and backwards compatible? I reformated my partition from ext2 to 3 then to 4. I haven't seen anywhere that talked specifically if a particular apps2sd program required a certain type ext partition. Thank you for your time!

Advertisement
  2. swc2001

swc2001 Well-Known Member

Its My understanding that the ext 3 and 4 are just faster and process better.
    And No there should be no problem using any of those 2,3,or 4 with Apps 2 SD

ccsoccer03 likes this.
  3. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

I did a benchmark project in undergrad, but it was before ext4... ext2 is faster than ext3, but ext3 has journaling, so it recovers better from something like a crash.

ext4 has a lot of improvements on ext3, but a quick check on the wikipedia page didn't make it immediately clear than any of them apply to the use-case of an SD card for your phone... Personally I like good old ext2, but I'd probably use at least ext3 for something like apps2sd, just in case of a crash or accidentally ejecting the card.

ccsoccer03 likes this.