ext2/3 and linux swap partitions

Last Updated:

1. shovelheadhd

shovelheadhd Member This Topic's Starter

I've been looking for information about using ext and linux swap partitions today and thought I would ask here from more experienced users. If I understand things right most ppl use the ext partition for apps2sd but with froyo this is build in. So is there any further benefit to creating an ext2/3 partition?

I've also read a few items on the linux swap partitions and its usefulness on older phones like the g1 but with the droid is this even needed? Arguments can be made for and against the linux swap but im looking for opinions or experience using it with the droid.

I know some roms make use of these from time to time but is there any benefit to using either type of partition on a rooted droid running the stock os. I try roms from time to time but stock seems to suit me better since I can run the wifi teather and overclock my droid up to 1.2Ghz and then remove the stock apps I don't want.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

TBH, with the limited use of Swap that *nix systems have, I cannot really see any reason to continue to make these on your SDCard. As you noted, the Apps2SD is now incorporated directly into FroYo, without the need for partitioning, so there isn't really going to be much of a benefit to doing this anymore, and with SDCards having a smallish tendency to fail, there is every reason not/B] to.

3. shovelheadhd

shovelheadhd Member This Topic's Starter

Thats what I was thinking just wanted to confirm this with others more knowledgeable than myself.