• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Duos] Extend the 170 MB system storage?

Biffos

Android Enthusiast
May 23, 2013
I have 170 MB system storage (or how do you call it, according to RAM on a Notebook). It is not possible to install that many apps. Obviously only some apps can be installed on the micro card (4 GB) or is it possible to install all apps on this card? Or how could I get more storage to install more apps?

Thank you boyo1991,

Yes, I had tried that, if I understand it right. Do you mean go to "on sd card" or to "Installed"? I assume, at "on sd card" the apps are already running on SD-Card (completely or partly), there is the option "Move to phone" or "Change to phone", but deactivated. When I go to "Installed" for some apps I find the option "Move to phone" (strange, they already seem to be on the phone, why is there this option?) and for some apps "Move to SD-Card", but this option is deactivated. E.g. Adobe Reader is shown twice on "On SD-Card" and on "Installed", why is that?

So, I cannot find a way to move apps from the phone to the SD-Card.

Upvote 0
Thank you boyo1991,

Yes, I had tried that, if I understand it right. Do you mean go to "on sd card" or to "Installed"? I assume, at "on sd card" the apps are already running on SD-Card (completely or partly), there is the option "Move to phone" or "Change to phone", but deactivated. When I go to "Installed" for some apps I find the option "Move to phone" (strange, they already seem to be on the phone, why is there this option?) and for some apps "Move to SD-Card", but this option is deactivated. E.g. Adobe Reader is shown twice on "On SD-Card" and on "Installed", why is that?

So, I cannot find a way to move apps from the phone to the SD-Card.

Some apps can be installed and/or moved to the SD card, while there's quite a few that wont. And there's many that insist on using internal memory only for data storage. And if you've only got 170MB internal useable, it can be a problem. Not a lot you can do about it with that device I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I tend to agree. It sounds very much like a cheapo Chinese device that doesn't have much internal storage. Many of them are like that.
Yes, that is right, it is a Samsung Galaxy S6102 Duos.

Some apps can be installed and/or moved to the SD card, while there's quite a few that wont. And there's many that insist on using internal memory only for data storage. And if you've only got 170MB internal useable, it can be a problem. Not a lot you can do about it with that device I'm afraid.

And there obviously are a few ones that are shown to be stored / installed on card but they seeem to be installed internal. And there is no app installed on card, which can be moved to the internal storage, the buttons are greyed out.

The apps have been installed automatically to card or internal storage, is there a way to affect it?

How much internal storage you should have?

Root your device, partition an SD Card in two (say 2-4gigs for an ext2 partition, the rest for the regular FAT32), and install Link2SD. It'll basically turn that ext2 partition into extra space for "internal" storage.
At the moment I do not understand what that means, how to root the phone, but the explanation at the end of the link seems to clarify, MiniToolPartion I already use, I will try it, thanks for the link.

Upvote 0
Rooting your device means gaining administrator control. By default, the Android OS limits what you can do on your phone as a security measure, so you don't do anything that could damage your phone. It also gives you a lot of control over what you can do on your phone.

Many of the better system utilities require root access in order to function. Link2SD won't work without it.

I'm on my phone right now, but I can see if there are any working root methods when I get home.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
OK, many thanks for explaining, I understand.

I suppose, running apps on the card slows down the phone, such a card will be slower as the internal storage (the same like using portable programs on an external USB 2.0 hard disk on Windows), I guess.

This is where you will find out how to root the device, thread moved for that purpose.
Hmmm, well, thanks for that.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones