• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Extended battery of the same physical size

VMuser

Oct 7, 2011
I have seen many extended batteries that are bigger than the battery that originally came with the phone. Zerolemon particularly puts out a HUGE battery that lasts 3 times the amount of time than the OEM battery. Now my question is: Can you pack more power (mAh) in the same physical size?

In other words, Ebay, Amazon & at least one local shop have batteries that are advertised at 3100 mAh that are the same size as the 1900 mAh that the manufacturer put on the phone. Is this possible or are they just printing a number to make believe that it is a higher capacity battery?

Looking forward to your input.

R

Nope. To get a significant increase in capacity the battery has to be physically larger. Despite any of their claims, no Ebay sellers have an exemption from the laws of physics and battery chemistry.
They can put whatever numbers they want on the label but I'm sure if you tested one of those supposed "extended" batteries with the right equipment the truth would come out.

Upvote 0
Nope. To get a significant increase in capacity the battery has to be physically larger. Despite any of their claims, no Ebay sellers have an exemption from the laws of physics and battery chemistry.
They can put whatever numbers they want on the label but I'm sure if you tested one of those supposed "extended" batteries with the right equipment the truth would come out.

DITTO ^^^^^^
You just cannot violate the Laws of Physics

that is why I only buy OEM branded batteries... the others are junk and can actually cause a fire.

Upvote 0
Not for phone but I have a digital camera with the original battery and an OEM battery, the original battery is a 1100 mah and the other is 1750 mah, both have the same dimensions and voltage but the OEM battery lasts much longer.

So it's definitely possible to make battery with higher capacity for the same device, as long as the battery is made by serious manufacturers.

Upvote 0
@lvt
just because the exterior package is the same size, does not mean all of the interior space was used to create a battery.

Your camera has a much larger package to hold the battery, and different chemistries have been used for those batteries.

Nearly all modern cellphones now have Lithium-Ion batteries and the battery package is stuffed to the limit with as much chemistry as they can wedge into that space.

No one, from China or from Mars, is going to push more capacity into the limited space requirements that a cellphone has available.... bigger batteries will need more room, and hence they will require a thicker package. One that requires a new case to hold it in place.

For me, I am not willing to make the phone any thicker than it is now, so OEM batteries are the only thing I will buy.

Upvote 0
@lvt
just because the exterior package is the same size, does not mean all of the interior space was used to create a battery.

Your camera has a much larger package to hold the battery, and different chemistries have been used for those batteries.

Nearly all modern cellphones now have Lithium-Ion batteries and the battery package is stuffed to the limit with as much chemistry as they can wedge into that space.

No one, from China or from Mars, is going to push more capacity into the limited space requirements that a cellphone has available.... bigger batteries will need more room, and hence they will require a thicker package. One that requires a new case to hold it in place.

For me, I am not willing to make the phone any thicker than it is now, so OEM batteries are the only thing I will buy.
As I also have a couple of Li-on batteries for my HTC, they are of different capacities (1500 mAh, 1800 mAh), so I think with the same volume you can make batteries with different capacities too, chemical density might be the solution.

I have checked the batteries's weight using a digital scale (for jewelry), the 1500 mAh battery weights 31gr while the 1800 mAh battery weights 32 gr. I don't think that the 1 gr of weight could represent 300 mAh, so it must be density or like you said above, different chemical formulas.

Upvote 0
I have seen many extended batteries that are bigger than the battery that originally came with the phone. Zerolemon particularly puts out a HUGE battery that lasts 3 times the amount of time than the OEM battery. Now my question is: Can you pack more power (mAh) in the same physical size?

In other words, Ebay, Amazon & at least one local shop have batteries that are advertised at 3100 mAh that are the same size as the 1900 mAh that the manufacturer put on the phone. Is this possible or are they just printing a number to make believe that it is a higher capacity battery?

Looking forward to your input.

I would only trust a few brands that lay claim to larger than stock capacities & with only a modest increase (100-200 mAh) at most.
Mugen,Anker & Gorilla Gadgets are about the only non-OEM brands I'd trust.

Upvote 0
I have checked the batteries's weight using a digital scale (for jewelry), the 1500 mAh battery weights 31gr while the 1800 mAh battery weights 32 gr. I don't think that the 1 gr of weight could represent 300 mAh, so it must be density or like you said above, different chemical formulas.
Well if they were the same size and had different densities they'd have proportionately different masses, unless the mass of the casing were reduced to compensate. Are you sure that both are quoting their real capacities? It's far from unknown for third party suppliers to exaggerate the capacity a bit in order to persuade you to buy their battery rather than another.

I'd personally not want to use a different battery chemistry, since you need the battery to be compatible with the charging circuitry in the phone. I'm afraid I'm rather cautious when it comes to batteries, especially those based on lithium chemistry.

A different problem is that even if you decide to buy an original replacement there are a lot of fakes out there. I bought one for my old HTC Desire that was supposed to be an original, and from a supplier I'd used before, but not only was it a fake (with the labelling carefully matching the original) but they'd cut corners by replacing the temperature sensor with a fixed resistance: no matter what you did it always reported the same temperature! Needless to say I returned that straight away, and told the supplier that it was dangerous: if the phone doesn't know what the battery temperature is I don't want the damned thing in my pocket!

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones