• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Extended Battery

jiggy79

May 17, 2010
I had bought an extended battery from Best Buy, it's pretty much the same one you buy from seidio. Now as of late...the battery is decreasing in its charge. Is this normal? Does this mean I have to shell out another $70 for another one. By the way I've had the best buy extended battery for months now.

James

Perhaps try a full discharge followed by a full recharge to reset its internal 'fuel gauge'.

This actually worked for me with the Seidio 3500mah extended battery. I read different things about letting these batteries drain all the way, but I figured what the heck.

So I let my battery die, then recharged overnight in an external charger. Battery has been awesome since then, I can get 25-30hours from a single charge now.

Upvote 0
Yes I am..usually when I go to bed at night, I put it on the charger and when morning comes..I take it off the charger (from 12am - 8am)and then it begins to decrease in charge quickly. It didn't do that before. I know recently I had put a different kernel on my rom netarchy and then put it back on stock kernel #15, don't know if they had any effect to it.

Upvote 0
That's true with the stock batteries or the ones made by the reputable companies. However, with the cheap hong kong batteries on ebay, it's a different story. Just gotta be careful.

Hard to fully discharge or overcharge a battery since they have built-in protection to prevent both. Of course, that protection isn't fool-proof, but it's incredibly rare. It would kick in even if Evo didn't have charge management.

Upvote 0
fully charge your battery, once it's charged shut it off... let it charge till green light.. after fully charged turn on then let it fully die.. once it dies, try to turn it back on and let it die again a few times... repeat cycle 2-3 times... if you're a root user, reset battery stats...

i used this battery compared to the one at best buy, which i have as well... works just as well...

HTC Evo 4G extended battery w/ battery door - Black Shipped Free.

Upvote 0
fully charge your battery, once it's charged shut it off... let it charge till green light.. after fully charged turn on then let it fully die.. once it dies, try to turn it back on and let it die again a few times... repeat cycle 2-3 times... if you're a root user, reset battery stats...

i used this battery compared to the one at best buy, which i have as well... works just as well...

HTC Evo 4G extended battery w/ battery door - Black Shipped Free.

FAIL FAIL FAIL

We use lithium ion batteries in our laptops. Nobody has to do that with a laptop battery and you don't have to do it with a cell phone battery. Its the same battery. When you first get a phone you are suppose to leave it off and let the lithium ion battery fully charge for 7-8 hours. The LED light may turn green after charging the phone for 20 minutes but the battery isn't full. Its a false indication and you want to initialize the battery. So just let it charge for 7-8 hours. Initializing will tell the "smart battery (lithium ion battery)" what its maximum charging capacity is so the battery can protect itself from overcharging. Lithium ion batteries aren't dumb batteries and this cycling crap is bad for lithium ion batteries.

Upvote 0
FAIL FAIL FAIL

We use lithium ion batteries in our laptops. Nobody has to do that with a laptop battery and you don't have to do it with a cell phone battery. Its the same battery. When you first get a phone you are suppose to leave it off and let the lithium ion battery fully charge for 7-8 hours. The LED light may turn green after charging the phone for 20 minutes but the battery isn't full. Its a false indication and you want to initialize the battery. So just let it charge for 7-8 hours. Initializing will tell the "smart battery (lithium ion battery)" what its maximum charging capacity is so the battery can protect itself from overcharging. Lithium ion batteries aren't dumb batteries and this cycling crap is bad for lithium ion batteries.

Well, I'm sorry to inform you I did my research.

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please refer to charging procedure 1/2 way down the page.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones