Extending Contract - Incentives

Last Updated:

1. verngator

verngator Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After reading the link on the $4.99 Sprint fees for accounts with spending limits, I called Sprint at *2 to determine what new fee(s) if any will apply to my account. The rep was very helpful and advised that since I didn't have a spending limit on my line, only the $.40/line fee would change.

I thanked him and was about to hang up when he mentioned that he would offer me $70 per line today to extend my contract another two years. I have four lines and will be out of contract in June, and will be eligible for reduced-pricing on new phones in April. I had planned on picking up a Hero on eBay in order to save the reduced pricing for another line, and had also planned on doing some kind of bargaining in June when my contract expires. The rep told me I could keep my upgrade pricing for April if I extend.

I told the guy to call me back later today as I was busy.

UPDATE
    He called me back later and told me that he could re-set the phone upgrade date on one of my lines...then advised me to go to Best Buy and pick up the Hero for $179.99. Oh, and he was still going to give me a $280 credit on my bill. I called Best Buy to make sure this was possible...they said "yes".

Does this sound too good to be true?

UPDATE -
    I did it! Picked up the phone at Best Buy + got the instant credit.
    So the phone was free plus I got $100 credit...didn't lose upgrade eligibility on any other lines, and I know I am not leaving Sprint as they have excellent coverage in our area.

Advertisement
  2. egkor

egkor Well-Known Member

(Received your PM ...)

It all sounds like it worked out well for you!

If you were going to stay with Sprint anyway, might as well get paid to do it!

-Gary K

3. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

hmmm, sounds like I am getting screwed on my upgrade. I am due for a $150 discount and the Hero is only $99 at Best Buy, so I figured it should at least be free. They are telling me that $150 is off the $479 retail price for the phone, not the new customer price which is stupid. I better get it for at least $99.

4. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

Probably not, unless you get a generous salesman like I did. The $99 is for new customers, it's $179 for existing customers upgrading. I asked the guy when I first got there and he said he couldn't do anything about the price, but when I went to pay he had knocked it down to $99. Good luck, just be nice to the people and maybe they'll hook you up.

5. acp

acp Well-Known Member

How do you know if your acct was affected?

6. verngator

Call Sprint - they will tell you whether or not your account has spending limits.

7. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Definitely no spending limits lol...is that for people with credit problems? I did fall under the .40 increase per line, which seems to be across the board and I just didn't read that at first

8. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

Great story brother!

Sprint baby yeah!

9. verngator

:) ahem...sister...but yeah, I love Sprint. I used to get pretty frustrated with their customer service, but service has gone from frustrating to awesome in the last year and a half or so.

Oh, and I LOVE my Hero!

10. boomhower

boomhower Well-Known Member

I called due the $.40 thing. I switched from EPRP to ED, got $20 off my bill for 24 months, added a corporate discount, and got a free airwave with free service. So I knocked my overall bill down close to $20 a month and got a free airwave, I can live with that.

11. nateo200

nateo200 Well-Known Member

I can't stress being nice to the customer service reps. i got my droid for basically new customer subsidized rate when i had 10 months tell my upgrade! everything is negotiatable with these guys.

12. eschills

eschills New Member

I was offered $50 per line (4) just before Christmas. Took that then bought 3 new phones the next day. While waiting for the Hero to drop to existing customers I called retention and they offered an extra $50 off making it $129. They will work with you.