Exterior Antenna adapterTips

Last Updated:

1. energymaker

energymaker New Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to connect an exterior antenna into the Galaxy? I am down in a valley, and if I could put an antenna on the roof, my reception would be great.

Advertisement
  2. FadeFx

FadeFx Well-Known Member

Yes, but since the standard connector is covered by the batery cover you'd have to drill a hole...

3. xoxid

xoxid Member

Can you show us where? would be nice for my bad reception issue at work. If I put it in my pocket, it have one bar, outside, it have 2. I would leave the antenna outside of my pocket, because at 1bar, I miss half the call.

4. FadeFx

FadeFx Well-Known Member

5. FadeFx

FadeFx Well-Known Member

xoxid

i guess this is not so usefull for mobile use... youd have to drill a hole into the battery cover at the right position and the antenna connector would stand out at the backside.

6. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Presumably it's for in-car use.

7. xoxid

xoxid Member

Hey,
    Thanks for the picture. Actually, as I am driving a floor cleaning machine in a grocery store for 6 hours/days, so it will definitely be useful. My phone don't even have signal when I go in the back-store, and I am there for at least two hours.
    Do you know what kind of antenna this is? I will try to find one around.

Btw, Is this normal? When I put my finger on the metal connector thing, the signal goes from 3 to 4 bars.

8. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Sticking your finger inside running electrical equipment? No, that's not normal (-:

Makes sense actually, it's using your body as an aeriel.

9. jaavi

jaavi Member

well, i didn't knew that is the antenna... i guess somewhere i read that the antenna is at the bottom end... near the speaker.. i cannot recall where I read that.. will update if I get that info..

10. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

I haven't looked fr sure,but its possible you read that the internal antenna is located near the bottom. It could easily run up the side of the phone and attach to the pcb near where that connector is. Does anyone know what kind of connector it is ?? Think I will go and get my calipers and measure it. Anything that could help reception would be of great help to me.

11. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

Precision eyeballing with the calipers indicates its 3mm in dia if it helps.

12. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

13. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

I contacted Wilson Electronics last night ( before I found out about the Omnia's connector and they recommended this:
    [FONT=&quot]In situations like these where there is no adapter cable available, we recommend our Signalboost HDSolo amplifier (#811210) which uses a universal adapter that connects to the back of the phone. This universal adapter needs the power from the amplifier to "push" the signal into the phone. You will also see better range and better signal strength than just the antenna alone. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Another advantage of this or other wireless amplifier is that no matter what phone you change to down the road, you will get the improved amplified signal without having to find any adapters or connectors. Below is a link:[/FONT] Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

14. bukzin

bukzin Active Member

The 'connection' Wilson is using above is a 'induction type'.

It works but there is signal loss as compared to using a antenna jack
    cabled directly to the amplifier.

15. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread. Recently I got a Wilson Electronics MobilePro. Works really well in the car and I can even get it to work in my house ( and I have very poor service at the house ). The repeater has to be quite close to the phone to get the best signal, but other than that its great. I also discovered that there is a connector on the back of the unit so that you can direct connect it to your phone to avoid any signal loss. Once I get my hands on that adapter, I'll give it a try and report. At the very least it should help those that were just looking to direct connect an external antenna.

Wilson 801240, 801241, 801242, 801243, 801244 - Wireless Mobile Pro

EDIT: Recently found out that the connector on the back isn't for a direct connection to a phone, but it is for connecting to a phone holder called Cradle Plus. Apparently almost as good as a direct connection.

16. Hok

Hok Member

Does anyone know where is wifi and gps antenna? :)