External battery charger - bewareAccessories

Last Updated:

1. backdown

backdown Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Amazon.com: splash Intense 5400mAh External Battery Pack for iPhone (3G 3GS), iPod Touch (1G 2G 3G), Motorola Droid, HTC Android Phones (Evo, Incredible, G1, Nexus One), Blackberry (9630, 9700, 9550): Electronics

The thread that started this, so you guys dont think im trolling (http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/105604-stopped-working.html)

Don't buy this, it will destroy your battery instantly. I charged it for an hour and it heated the phone towards 130 degrees, and shut down the phone. This was on my trip down to Florida. Got down there and and found out that it fried the battery. So beware, i sent them an email telling them about it and they will give me a full refund and some money for the battery (score!)

So just thought i would toss that out there for yall ;)

Advertisement
  2. nedneff

nedneff Member

crap I just ordered one of these based on a review from another site! Shoulda checked this forum first...
    Anyone else have first hand experience with this product?

BTW, it's a good idea to put the name of the product your thread is about in the title...

3. jmcging

jmcging Active Member

Own one and have used it twice to recharge my EVO and it worked just fine; no problems, no over heating or anything. When I say charging I mean the battery pack was connected to the EVO and doing the charging, not that the battery pack was plugged into anything and the EVO plugged into that.

yes: Battery pack => EVO
    no: 120 AC/USB converter => battery pack => EVO

So, in fairness, my experience is opposite of the OPs.

For what it's worth.

4. backdown

backdown Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It may turn out good for you, just be cautious. And yeah..i thought about that after i made it :S

I just had mine plugged into my evo. I have no idea if perhaps i just got a bad charger or something, but they didn't offer to give me a new one so i just returned it for a refund. It is well built and has a nice feel to it, but i won't buy one again.

5. evo4g-abassham

evo4g-abassham New Member

I had an issue with a cheap wall charger I bought that fit the EVO. The phone got so hot I couldn't pick it up. Easily 130+ degrees. Warped the back plate. I had to replace the battery and the plate and threw the charger in the trash. This was in the house, 72 degrees. Just glad it didn't fry my phone.

6. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

this is why i only buy HTC or Sprint OEM Chargers.

and definitely only HTC OEM batteries if needed.