• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

External battery

I am getting one for sure to keep in m lap top bag.

I have seen them from 1400mah all the way up to 4000mah. I will get what ever one i can find that has the most mahs for less than $50 with positive feedback.

I will let you know which one that ends up being as i was kinda waiting till this phone has been out about a month to see if any especially nice ones how up as accessories to THIS PHONE..possibly with a taylor made plug in versus the 20 snap on ones they often give you as i find those cheap and easy to break.

Upvote 0
I bought the Splash Intense. It's a 5400mAh battery with two (2) USB out ports, so you can actually charge two devices at the same time. Comes with tips for charging the mini and micro tips, iphone, Sony Ericsson and a few more. It was $46 at Amazon. Plus it has great reviews. Here's the link:

Amazon.com: splash Intense 5400mAh External Battery Pack for iPhone 3G 3GS, iPod Touch (1G 2G 3G), Motorola Droid X Eris, HTC Android Phones (Evo, Incredible, G1, Nexus One), Blackberry (9630, 9700, 9550, 9800): Electronics

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The ZAGGsparq is also an option. It is priced a little higher at $99.99. The specs are below.
  • 6,000 mAh Lithium Polymer
  • Has the power to charge most smart phones four times
  • 4 yellow lights indicate power level, 25%-50%-75%-100%
  • Has the ability to charge multiple USB devices simultaneously
  • Max output: 2000mA @ 5V
  • Power Source: 100-240 VAC @ 50/60 Hz
  • Physical Size 3.5 x 3.5 x 1 inches
  • Weight .54 lbs.
They are running a promotion that if you but the ZAGGsparq you get ZAGGsmartbuds free. The smartbuds and a nice seat of headphones with inline mic for phone calls. The smartbuds are normally about $50 so this is not too bad of a deal if you need the battery charger and a decent set of headphones. Click the link below to see the promotional ad

image-3215015-10550783
ZAGG | This deal from ZAGG should be illegal: Buy a ZAGGsparq and get a free pair of ZAGGsmartbuds

Upvote 0
Wow, that Zagg is pricey! I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the New Trent, though. That should be perfect. Nice design, good size (physical and battery size), and decent price.

Yeah, it is kind of pricey but with the free headphones it isn't a terrible deal. I already have a set of headphones so I think I will probably get a cheaper external battery.

Upvote 0
I REALLY wish HTC had just released the Thunderbolt on both Verizon and AT&T...during my short flirtation with Verizon earlier today, I noticed the Thunderbolt is the Verizon version of the Inspire. One difference is that the Thunderbolt can accept an extended battery. HTC is even making a huge one for it:

HTC Thunderbolt extended battery details leak: 2750mAh, Extended battery door included

I have to admit I'm seriously jealous

Upvote 0
Im not. I have a gas generator in my truck bed. **** it.
Haha :D

I'm completely torn...I may end up leaving AT&T after all. Verizon is offering a 29.99 unlimited data plan with the ThunderBolt as long as you use 3G data. Along with the 450 minute calling plan(39.99), I would be spending the same money as I do now on AT&T, but get a device that is true 4G(LTE) compatible and be able to accept an extended battery. Seems very future proof.

Here is a link to Verizon's page where it shows their unlimited 29.99 data plan:

Set Your Location

Just click and the pricing options under data(web and email)

What I would be giving up is AT&T's faster 3G data, and the ability to use my Nexus One's free wifi hotspot. Would be gaining 4G LTE and and true extended battery replacement made by HTC

Upvote 0
All very cool battery options we should post reviews for these puppies once you guys put them through their paces!!!
I agree...I'm going to depend on you guys and your opinions about the Inspire battery life and these battery options...

I've been thinking...an extended battery is probably a stupid reason to switch carriers. Especially with a 4.3 in device which is already going to be a tight fit in the pocket...I can only imagine how big it would be with a 2700Mah+ extended battery in there..PLUS Verizon does not have rollover minutes... and I have 1500 of them built up. All in all I do not see the advantage of switching beyond the short term enjoyment of the Thunderbolt.

So I am going to hold off doing anything until I hear from all of you regarding Inspire battery life. I'll probably end up with the Inspire I think. I'm going to be getting the moto Xoom on launch so I may very well be using my Android phone a lot less anyway.

Upvote 0
I agree...I'm going to depend on you guys and your opinions about the Inspire battery life and these battery options...

I've been thinking...an extended battery is probably a stupid reason to switch carriers. Especially with a 4.3 in device which is already going to be a tight fit in the pocket...I can only imagine how big it would be with a 2700Mah+ extended battery in there..PLUS Verizon does not have rollover minutes... and I have 1500 of them built up. All in all I do not see the advantage of switching beyond the short term enjoyment of the Thunderbolt.

So I am going to hold off doing anything until I hear from all of you regarding Inspire battery life. I'll probably end up with the Inspire I think. I'm going to be getting the moto Xoom on launch so I may very well be using my Android phone a lot less anyway.

I saw the extended battery on an EVO and man it almost doubled the thickness. I will definitely consider one of these options if the battery doesnt make it through one of my work days. I usually take the phone off the charger at 1030 am and it goes back on at about 11 if it can make it from 1030 to 10 everyday even if there is only 20% left im good if it gets closer than that i might grab one of these

Upvote 0
I saw the extended battery on an EVO and man it almost doubled the thickness. I will definitely consider one of these options if the battery doesnt make it through one of my work days. I usually take the phone off the charger at 1030 am and it goes back on at about 11 if it can make it from 1030 to 10 everyday even if there is only 20% left im good if it gets closer than that i might grab one of these
I'm not knocking the Inspire, or HTC, but I'm almost sure this device won't make it thru the day most of the time. My Nexus One won't and it has a BIGGER battery(1400Mah) than the inspire, and a SMALLER screen(3.7in). Now, I hope I'm wrong, but I think we all have a lot of time on a charger ahead of us.:D It's not the end of the word...with some planning and an extra wall charger or two it can be done.

For example: Use the charger cable that comes with the device in bedroom, get one for the kitchen/living area for when you're eating/watching TV, get one for the office...and get a car charger. This is what I ultimately did for my Nexus before the 3200Mah extended battery came out.

It can be a pain in the ass to always be plugged in but not the end of the world either.

Also, you guys can give juice defender in the market a try. What you can do is schedule data to be turned off when the screen goes black, and it will turn on 3G for you every fifteen minutes to check emails, texts, etc.., then shut itself off again. This can save you ~15% battery life during the day without you having to do anything. I've found it to be one more weapon against battery drain that helps.

Upvote 0
I'm not knocking the Inspire, or HTC, but I'm almost sure this device won't make it thru the day most of the time. My Nexus One won't and it has a BIGGER battery than the inspire, and a SMALLER screen(3.7in). Now, I hope I'm wrong, but I think we all have a lot of time on a charger ahead of us.:D It's not the end of the word...with some planning and an extra wall charger or two it can be done.

For example: Use the charger cable that comes with the device in bedroom, get one for the kitchen/living area for when you're eating/watching TV, get one for the office...and get a car charger. This is what I ultimately did for my Nexus before the 3200Mah extended battery came out.

It can be a pain in the ass to always be plugged in but not the end of the world either.

Also, you guys can give juice defender in the market a try. What you can do is schedule data to be turned off when the screen goes black, and it will turn on 3G for you every fifteen minutes to check emails, texts, etc.., then shut itself off again. This can save you ~15% battery life during the day without you having to do anything. I've found it to be one more weapon against battery drain that helps.

yea there are definitely ways around it and i definitely will have a car charger and one for work beside my home charger

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones