external gps antennas?

Last Updated:

1. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I want to use my tracks to map some of my local dirtbike trails, problem is that my droid will be in my backpack to protect it from the elements. I'm wondering if there are any external gps antennas available for the droid I could hang out of the back pack?

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I used this:

[​IMG]

It had decent battery life and picked up signal pretty well in my car. I think they are discontinued, but just search "GPS module" or "Keychain GPS" for similar units.

3. katoom400

ok, my question would be....how weather proof is that device...I need an antenna that can get wet otherwise I would just handlebar mount my droid?

4. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

If its not rated for "outdoors", I would not leave it uncovered. Won't hurt to put it in a plastic bag.

5. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I use my Droid on both mountain bike and trail runs, I put it in the Amphipod Rapid Access pouch (sm) to protect it and I put all of that into a rear jersey pocket and use MyTracks and I pick up GPS fine.

6. katoom400

I use a MSR roost pack on the fron of my chest protector, do you think I will receive gps signal with the droid inside it?

Attached Files:

7. hastings

hastings Member

I hike in the woods and map trails using my tracks. I keep my droid in my pocket and even on rainy days I have little problem with accuracy. My advice would be to just go out and try it and see how accurate it is for you.

8. katoom400

cool! I just figured if it couldn't see the sats then It would drop out....maybe it uses cell signal for location as well?

9. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

It doesn't need visual line of sight necessarily. It can get a fix through certain materials. Again, just test it out.

10. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

that little pouch I mention above I often wear on my chest on the sternum strap on my camel back and while mountain biking I am slightly bent over.. no problems.