1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

External hard drive problems

1. ssuperraven

ssuperraven New Member

Hi, To start, I am fairly clueless with computers, so please excuse the lack of technical language and knowledge!!

I had an old hard drive that I needed to get some pictures off and was sold a kind of external hard drive thing. They put my hard drive in it, and said that I would be able to get the information off it if I formatted the hard drive when it was plugged into my computer.

When I went to format it, it told me that it would delete everything, so I cancelled it. The problem is that I cannot view ANYTHING on this hard drive. It is telling me I do not have access to it?! If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks in advance

Advertisement
    :
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

If you removed this from a PC running Vista or Windows 7 it's most likely NTFS which means that permissions are assigned to files and folders. You will need to mount that drive on a PC running either the same OS or later and have administrative privileges to get at the files.
  3. ssuperraven

ssuperraven New Member

I have now managed to copy/paste the files, but it says I am not authorised to view the contents. Any ideas?
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

If you have administrative access you can right-click on the files and go to the security tab and take ownership.
  5. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Well-Known Member

Wow, that's among the worst advice I've ever seen. You're lucky you didn't format it, because then you'd need forensics (time, money, and prayers) to recover the files. :eek:

If you're not authorized to view the files, I can't see how you could have successfully copied and pasted them. Doesn't sound right.

That's plausible.

This is probably overkill (and potentially dangerous for a newby), but Parted Magic is a free bootable CD/USB version of Linux that's designed for doing maintenance and recovery on machines and drives.
  6. ssuperraven

ssuperraven New Member

I give up!!!! Will take it to a man who can! Thank you all for your help though
  7. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Well-Known Member

Good luck with it Raven!