External mic for video recording?

Last Updated:

1. white0ut442

white0ut442 Member This Topic's Starter

Is the Droid capable of recording video with an external stereo mic (Sony ECM-MS957)? I was thinking about getting the Kodak Zi8, but hey, if the Droid can do it then I'll save the $200

Advertisement
  2. white0ut442

Uh so no?

Thank you

3. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

Just because no one knows is no reason to be snippy about it. My feeling is that it isn't possible. I don't believe the camcorder app can accept audio from a mic via the headphone jack. You could test with a cheap wired headset and see if it picks up sound from that mic, but I'd be surprised. That said, there could be an app somewhere that maybe does that. I don't know if that sort of thing is possible in Android though.

You'll get much better results with the Zi8 anyway. The Droid has good video for a phone, not so much compared to real cameras.

4. white0ut442

Thanks!
    Sorry I didn't mean to come off as snippy, just was looking for any opinion

5. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Well-Known Member

I have a wired headset and it does record audio from the headset's mic but the mic on the phone itself was more sensitive. It was able to pickup my voice better at arms length using the onboard mic than directing directly into the wired one. If you have a preamp on your mic you may get better results than the onboard but otherwise, stick with the onboard.

6. white0ut442

Hmm interesting. Was this with video recording?

7. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Well-Known Member

8. wariat777

wariat777 New Member

Hey. I found only 1 app which allows this, and it's a bit buggy:
    Arabela Audio Recorder - choose DEFAULT audio source and it should catch the signal from external mic connected through 3,5 jack (of course it has to be connected via adaptor, usual mic wil not work without adapter - for this you can solder into the headset or buy adapter on amazon)

I THINK it can catch the audio while recording video because it works in background ... so later you will be able to join it with some kind of video editor.

9. deadmantaping

deadmantaping New Member

Is there a way to connect two mono external microphones to get a stereo input? My understanding is the mini jack on Droids are just mono for mic's so it would likely need to be interfaced into the USB.

Anyone know of any cables for this?