• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help External SD corrupts at random

geru

Lurker
Nov 23, 2010
Finland
I'm having one repeating problem with my new Galaxy S, the phone's External SD keeps corrupting for some reason. I used the same MicroSD card in my previous phone for a year with no issues, but since I installed it in my Galaxy it randomly stops working (can't access files on it), and when I open My Files all the file names are all messed up. When I unmount and remount the card, everything works fine again. All the files are available, and the file names are back to normal.

I uninstalled a bunch of programs I suspected might be messing with the card, and tried formatting it again. And I've been really careful to always use the "Safely remove hardware" function, but it seems the card corrupts even when I'm not doing anything specific with the phone.

I guess the next step is to try another card, but other than that, any ideas?

Edit. though it seems the card is working, I can't make new folders of modify the files on it in My Files... the files are accessible though. When I connect it to my PC, I can modify the cards content normally.

I've had good cards on one device behave as if corrupted on a second device.

After a bit of that, I would not hesitate again to just put out the money and hassle for a new card for the new phone. ;)

Yeah, might be.. I'm in a bit of a pickle though, I'm perfectly happy with my current 8GB card, so there's no point in upgrading to a 16GB, but I don't want to pay for a new 8GB one either in case it doesn't help..

Guess I'll just have to cough up the ~20

Upvote 0
I got a partial external 8gb sd corrupted data, it happened after shutting down the telephone while listening to music with the built in application in my Samsung Galaxy S I9000 with Android 2.2. All the music (4gb out of 8gb) all the music directory has disappeared and a LOST.DIR has appeared instead. How to fix it?

Upvote 0
I got a partial external 8gb sd corrupted data, it happened after shutting down the telephone while listening to music with the built in application in my Samsung Galaxy S I9000 with Android 2.2. All the music (4gb out of 8gb) all the music directory has disappeared and a LOST.DIR has appeared instead. How to fix it?

Format it in your computer.

Upvote 0
I haven't had any problems since I bought a new sd-card, so that might help as a last resort.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones