• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

external usb 3g modem vs built in 3g

josefn

Jun 5, 2014
Is there any difference in terms of energy consumption when using a tablet with internal 3g internet and one without such feature through external 3g dongle? When using a dongle on the laptop for example I noticed it is heating moderately, so there must be much energy wasted in it. How about a built in 3g, is it the same story or does it operate more efficiently?

I'd hazard a guess, and say they'd be similar. They're both a 3G radio and modem, it's just how they're connected is different. USB 3G/4G modems can run a bit warm, but in a tablet any heat generated by the modem is going to be absorbed by quite a large device in comparison to a small USB dongle. Modern USB cellular modems are a lot more efficient than they used to be. The first Huawei ones, like the e220, could run very warm and sometimes required two USB ports to power them from a laptop, using a "Y" cable. I've sometimes used a modern Huawei, EC122 CDMA/EV-DO USB dongle modem, and that barely gets warm at all, and doesn't require a "Y" cable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones