Extra Apps Running with Froyo Update

Last Updated:

1. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone noticed that there are lots of apps that are autostarting with the new froyo update. I have to constantly open Advanced task Killer to kill these apps. Things like, skype, google search, and contacts for example. Any way to keep these from autostarting every 5 seconds... its like they start immediately after I kill them

Advertisement
  2. SimsDelt

Also... anyone getting the problem of Launcher Pro Plus not keeping all the custom icons on the dock right after reboot. It never keeps my dialer or handcent icons, and they are the same as the other dock icons and they stay fine after a reboot.

3. SimsDelt

1 more question. When the Froyo update does go OTA will our phones tell us there is an update available? will we have to reset to 2.1 to get the official update (yes probably)? If we tried to do the OTA update over the 2.2 leaked update would it mess things up? Sorry for all the questions, but figured they needed to be asked.

4. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

if you're rooted, use titanium backup to freeze them. if not, just try to ignore the fact that they're running. they take up 1-2% of your available memory, and have absolutely no effect on performance. although, i agree it's annoying. i mean, i understand things they make money on, like VZ Navigaor (even though i dont like it), but City ID? why?! it feels like verizon + motorola are trying real hard to forget the whole open source idea that android was born from. locking bootloaders and installing bloatware you cant uninstall... that sounds like something apple or microsoft would do.

5. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

On a related note, does anybody have Quickoffice installed now? I know I've never downloaded or installed it but yet it was showing up in ATK so I said "Switch To" and it asked me to register the software. Then I looked in my App Drawer, and it is there as well. Is this something that is supposed to come with Froyo?

6. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

yep. it's actually pretty decent software though, if you ever have the use to open/edit office documents.

7. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

It's doesn't matter that's the way the OS works. They're just preloaded in case you need them, they are not running. Stop looking and stop killing them and you won't even notice them .. The OS will remove them if it needs the memory. If you freeze them something else will just load up.

As for LP No I haven't noticed it.

As for OTA who knows....But since this is an officially signed update unless Moto wants to be dicks I would think it would just update like normal.

However
    Personally at this point, with custom recovery and root, when a OTA comes out I decline them to give time for the developers to determine if it's going to break any thing (like root or recovery) before I'll upgrade any ways. If you have recovery and root I'd suggest the same.

8. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

I don't mind bloat ware that much it's been a given forever but installing CityID that runs and will nag you forever to buy it but offer no option to uninstall is unacceptable. And what's with VZW adding VZ navigator to the bloat? Do they really think people are going to pay for VZ navigator when we have Google Nav for FREE? I guess they're just hoping to trick a few thousand dummies into paying for something they don't need to.

9. SimsDelt

I've got QuickOffice and since its a paid app, I highly doubt it comes with stock Froyo. Think this was a goodie added for us.

10. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

first off, skype, google search, and contacts ARE NOT RUNNING in the background. The android system keeps these apps in a ready state in order for them to open quickly or because part of the application might need to be accessed by another application. DO NOT KILL THESE APPS. they are not slowing your phone down, and they are not draining your battery. What is slowing your phone down is the system having to restore those apps to a ready state which uses CPU cycles and drains the battery.

Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers. - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

11. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

NO..... running beautiful