extract a phone message as a sound file

1. fangirl

fangirl New Member

Hello --

It has probably been asked already, bear with me

I have a phone message 'saved' that I would like to extract as a native sound file

Anyone done this?

Advertisement
  2. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

The only way I know of getting a sound file as a customer of the voice mail provider is to use a product that e-mails a sound file (typically a WAV file) to me. If you have control of the voice mail server, you can probably find and save the sound file for that voice mail in the native file format of the voice mail system. But if you have that sort of access, I'd think that you'd already know how the system works.

The last time I was asked to save a voice mail, I used a POTS phone with a headset jack to call the cellphone company's voice mail access number, and recorded the analog output from the headset jack to a PC, using a pro audio ADC with an audio patch cable between the phone and the ADC.
  3. fangirl

fangirl New Member

Hmmmmm-
    Well, thanks for the reply Speed Daemon
    I appreciate the effort

I am getting at wanting to bypass the incredible interface, to the directory that houses the saved voice mail files and transferring that .wav as you suggested to my desktop

In the order of your reply if you want to explain

-- use a product that e-mails a sound file (typically a WAV file)
    My provider is absolutely useless
    Verizon is good for many things, but customer service staff understanding how the incredible works is not one of them

-- If you have control of the voice mail server, you can probably find and save the sound file for that voice mail in the native file format of the voice mail system. But if you have that sort of access, I'd think that you'd already know how the system works
    I access the cellphone company's voice mail user interface I can only listen, delete or keep messages etc Nothing else is available through Verizon that I am aware of

Lastly, This, though 'hella impressive may as well be latin to me
    -- I used a POTS phone with a headset jack to call the cellphone company's voice mail access number, and recorded the analog output from the headset jack to a PC, using a pro audio ADC with an audio patch cable between the phone and the ADC
    The skills and equipment this took is beyond my paygrade

But, if I can as mentioned, get behind the user interface and grab the .wav file and pull it onto my desktop that'd be ideal

I have instructions for 'jailbreaking' the GUI, but they are step by step for a PC and I am on a MAC (how many times in my life has this happened, Eyie Carumba) thx your doing the lord's work just replying -cheers