Extract boot.img help

Last Updated:

1. NotSoPro

NotSoPro Member

Hello all,

I have been trying to extract a boot.img for that past couple of hours to no avail. It does not have the typical ANDROID! header so none of the scripts work. I hex edited it and the closest i have come is being able to see the text of something and all but i cannot extract them. Any questions please ask!

2. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Hi NotSoPro, and welcome to AF :)

It might help if you tell us what device you are working with - then we could move this thread to the relevant forum and get you better advice.
    Rxpert83 and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

also state what boot.img you are trying to extract and from where this is coming from. try and be as specific as possible on what you are trying to accomplish so that others can help you better.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. NotSoPro

NotSoPro Member

I am working on the samsung galaxy player 5 . the boot.img comes from a custom rom specifically a jb miui rom. If i am allowed to post links i will link you to my dropbox with the boot.img
  5. ocnbrze

wait you already have the boot.img? if so then you do not need to extract it. the miui rom file needs to only be extracted so that you can pull the boot.img out.
  6. NotSoPro

NotSoPro Member

7. ocnbrze

8. NotSoPro

NotSoPro Member

I just tried on linux and windows and i get "broken image file". jut tried with the one from the dropbox link and the one i hex edited

Also just edited the recovery and the boot.img to gz format and tried to gunzip and cpio them but it still doesnt work.

i tried both of the boot.img's the one i got from doing a nandroid and the one in the rom, i also tried the recovery.img
  9. NotSoPro

NotSoPro Member