extracting contact multiple numbers from sim

Last Updated:

1. Brodule

Brodule New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    Sorry I am a bit of a newbie on phones.

I kept with my Motorola 1000 till I got a Desire. On this phone on the SIM card I could store several numbers for each contact/person.

I swapped the SIM card into the Desire, and all the first number for each contact is there, but I can find no way to access the other numbers e.g. landline that I had against each contact/person.

Does anyone know where I am going wrong?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

The contact information that is stored on the sim card is often very basic. I imagine it hasn't taken everything with it. It may be that the other numbers were stored on teh old phone, even though the contact is on the sim.

I'm not familiar with the Moto 1000, but there must be a better way to export the contacts from it than using sim. Sim is too basic.

If you can export to CSV or something, you could import directly into gmail, which would be ideal.

3. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

This is true. SIM contacts can only hold a name (up to 12 chars i think) and a single number. Anything above this would require the phone to be stored as a "Phone" contact, has been this way for years.

Not sure if you can do this as I used Sprite Migrate to migrate from my Touch HD. But what I have done with other phones is bluetooth my contacts over so they arrive as vCard messages and then you should be able to save them to the phone with all the details.

Takes a while if you have a lot of contacts but its definitely quicker then re-entering them all.

4. Brodule

Actually, sorry, I think you are wrong. Although we all use the word SIM, in 3G it is a UICC
    and can store a lot of info. The plot thickens, so any more answers....

By the way, if I move the SIM to another A1000, all the data goes across as well.

Could this be an Android implementation failure?

5. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Well you live and learn eh? just done some reaserch ;)

I've never been able to transfer my contacts over by sim card and retain all the info. But then again I rarely have the same make phone twice in a row and never had a moto(Maybe they are written in a device\manufacturer specific format?). I think the best I ever had was I ended up with multiple duplicate contacts with different numbers. Have you tried in another make phone to see if that can cope?

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Possibly, or moto. either way it wont work that way. From a quick google, it appears the A1000 is a UIQ phone.

So you could try this...

Google Sync Beta for SyncML (S60) phones

Syncs contacts with Gmail. Then when you sync the desire with gmail, all your contacts are there.

7. Brodule

Hi,

I have been doing research on this as well, and I have found lots of references to 'significantly enhanced phone book' but I can't find anything more.

I found this, which probably sums it up..

What is a UICC and how is it different from a SIM card? | Just ask Gemalto

So it sounds as though 2.1? does not get to this UICC app, which IMHO is a big hole.

What tecchies do we have that can throw light on this. P.S. I found reference to a 1G UICC 'SIM' card....that'll hold my contacts !!!!!!

8. Brodule

The phonebook is an application that runs on the USIM/UICC itself, so the type of phone should not be relevant. And in this case the phone is communicating with this application as it is picking up some of the data. This sounds really basic to me, someone must have better info out there...pretty please.....

9. tigris666

tigris666 New Member