Extreme battery lossSupport

Last Updated:

1. Wazoo

Wazoo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Aight so I was just in class and i had 70% battery. So I go to check my facebook, battery is still at 70%, refresh my notifications, still 70%, then go to the home screen and kill most of my apps, save handcent and taskiller, and lock the phone. About 15 minutes later, I get out of class and the red light is blinking and my battery is at 5%! Wtf, mate? Less than 20 minutes later, I lose over 60% of my battery?

Also, I just plugged it in and in less than 5 minutes it's back up to 60%. Any explanations, is my battery/whatever reads the battery life going funny? Or is this likely some freak happening?

Advertisement
  2. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

I think this is what people were discussing a lot when it first came out...until you season the battery it will read all whacked out...you have to charge it a few times and it will display your battery life more accurately.

3. Wazoo

I've had it for over 2 weeks and charged it about 10 times. This is also the first time this happened.

4. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Well, did you run it all the way down to zero and then charge it all the way back up to full at all? That helps recalibrate the battery life sensors.

Note: You don't have to do that to Li polymer batteries in regular use. Just run it down to zero and all the way back up at least once every two or three months to ensure the battery sensor is accurate.

5. Wazoo

yup did that i think 3 days after i got it, so that was about 11 days ago

6. KeithG

KeithG Well-Known Member

I had this happen .. once ... went from 60% to 5% ... I thought I got an email when I saw the led blinking, (I use k-9 so... my led for mgs is purple, mistook it). Once I saw my battery indicator @ 5%, I walked to the charger and plugged it in.

I came back about a minute later and it read 60%.

First, the battery wasn't @ 5%, the data the kernel was getting from the battery subsystem may have been faulty. This error was then percolated up the stack ... thereby displaying an incorrect %.

Rebooted (off charger). I then drained the battery till it read 40% .. and figured it was just an incorrect reading. Hasn't reoccurred.