Extreme Data Usage (In Big Chunks)

Last Updated:

1. entelech

entelech New Member This Topic's Starter

I activated a Droid on Verizon last week. It is rooted and has a fresh install of CyanogenMod 5.0.7.1. with barely anything else installed. I only put a handful of apps on it, none of which I'd think would account for the kind of extreme data use I'm seeing (Google Voice, Mobile Defense, Apps Organizer, SetCPU, etc). Here's the data usage from day 1 (6/5), according to Verizon's website:

8:53am - 446 KB
    9:47am - 921 KB
    1:57pm - 180 KB
    3:28pm - 799 KB
    5:37pm - 569,645 KB
    7:40pm - 988 KB
    9:59pm - 356 KB

Yeah, so at 5:37, I supposedly used 569 MEGAbytes of data. I don't think I even used the phone at all around that time, much less for something gigantic.

The following four days all show similar usage patterns. Several small uses (which are probably when I was actually using the phone), with one or two big chunks of data. The big chunks look like this:

6/6 at 5:00pm - 441,645 KB
    6/7 at 4:55pm - 98,611 KB
    6/8 at 7:39am - 200,243 KB
    6/8 at 5:05pm - 23,421 KB
    6/9 at 2:02am - 60,331 KB

I have not used YouTube, Pandora, Navigation, or anything media-intensive like that. I do have Wireless Tether and Barnacle installed, but I have only tethered sparingly (a couple MBs or less each time) and am sure to disconnect when I'm done. Some days I have not tethered at all and yet the extreme usage chunks have happened every day.

Any ideas what might be going on here? Even wild guesses are welcome. Thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

Some sort of back up program set to go off around 5pm?

3. entelech

Thanks Branndon. I don't think I have any backup program installed. I too noticed that there were several times close to 5pm. The first three days were all around that time, but then it also happened at 7:39am and 2:02am, so I don't know what to think.

4. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

That is very weird. I would say ask Verizon if they can see what the data is, but you're rooted, so that could be a bad thing. Maybe re flash the rom, or try a different rom?

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

There was an app that would monitor your data usage on your phone, both 3G as well as WiFI - cannot remember the name of it, let me go looking around to see if I can find it....

6. entelech

Yeah, if I can't narrow it down soon, I'll have to try re-flashing or flashing something else entirely. I'll go back to stock if I have to. Otherwise this unknown data usage may be up near 10GB for the month all by itself.

7. Arcolog2

Arcolog2 Active Member

Use 3g watchdog to see when the data is kicking up, then try an app killer and kill things one by one till it stops, if that helps narrow it down it might help.

Other than that good luck! Let us know if Verizon asks about the usage

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

That's the one....

9. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

do you have picasa sync turned on. I know I saw someone in the past who had that and it was syncing huge amounts of photos.